Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Do severe dysplasia of squamous epithelium suggest carcinoma in situ?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother fell on her right arm. A few days later she noticed a wound on the dorsum of the right arm but was not sure if it was from the fall. She did not care for it nor treat it. About a week later she started disinfecting and covering it but decided to visit a dermatologist as she ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This could be cancer. However, there is no harm in waiting for a week or 10 days and then perhaps go for an excision if it does not heal by then. Cutaneous SCC (squamous cell carcinoma) is u...  Read Full »

I have a sore on my leg for a long time with a history of cancer. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have sore on my leg for a long time. More than a year, I did shave part of my leg at one point. It became like a sore, but I have a strong history of cancer.  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. In my opinion, your lesion should be biopsied as early as possible as you have a long-standing history of cutaneous cancer, and I fear it could be slow-growing skin cancer. I have two to three differential diagnosis. 1. Nodular squamou...  Read Full »

Please suggest the treatment procedure followed for squamous cell carcinoma of tongue.

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 77 years old. He is diagnosed with moderately differentiated squamous cell carcinoma, in the right vallecula and at the base of the tongue aggregating 0.5 × 0.5 × 0.2 cm. He has pain and sensation while eating and drinking. What is the treatment? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncologist, Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Treatment of choice in this condition is radical radiotherapy using IMRT (intensity modulated radiation therapy) and IGRT (image-guided radiation therapy) technique with concurrent weekly cisplatin chemotherapy.  Read Full »

Is whole body PET scan required to check the spread of tongue cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 65 years old and in excellent health. He is a diabetic and also has BP. But, his sugar levels and BP are very much in control. He is taking oral medication for both diabetes and BP. He is taking Telvas 20 mg for BP, Gluconorm for diabetes and taking thyroid medication for hyp...  Read Full »

Dr. Satya Narayan

Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, he did not need whole body PET scan now. Yes, the standardized uptake value (SUV) number indicates the probability of cancer as it increases, but it is not confirmative. The SUV number can be increased in case of infection, inflammatory condition and cancer. But, ...  Read Full »

What is the prognosis of recurrent squamous cell carcinoma?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been a patient of recurrent local squamous cell carcinoma. In the last one and half years, he has been operated for cystoprostatectomy and urethrectomy with an ileal conduit for urine bypass followed by lymphonodectomy. After all these surgeries, he had a recurrence seven mo...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the information and the biopsy report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please understand that this pathological report is incomplete, so it is difficult to advise you the further course of therapy. In fact, further therapy will depend on ...  Read Full »

Does radiation therapy increase the risk of melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, 21 years ago, my friend had radiation therapy for a very small breast cancer. In the recent years, breast areola becomes dry. Biopsies revealed no cancer. She was followed closely by an oncologist and a dermatologist with number of tests. Recently, a mole appeared in the areola region. Th...  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Post radiation therapy, the skin does suffer a burnt both immediate as well as on a long term. Dryness, itching leading to oozing and crusting are very common complaints after radiotherapy and can start as late as 15 to 20 years too after the treatment. Radiation therap...  Read Full »

What treatment can cure well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother is suffering from well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma. Her age is between 55 to 60. What treatment can cure her?  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern, the report of your mother is clearly showing a food pipe cancer (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This cancer has not been staged yet. So she will have to undergo some more investigations including PET/CT scan, transesophag...  Read Full »

Please go through biopsy report of tongue cancer and advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother was diagnosed with tongue cancer and the doctor suggested to operate. So, we operated at a cancer hospital and we received a final biopsy report. Squamous cell carcinoma. Moderately differentiated. The depth of infiltration 3 mm. Re-revised base-unremarkable. All mucos...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per it, looks like she had stage-I disease. No lymph node involvement. No other adverse factors. I do not think there is any further need for radiation or chemotherapy. Initial thre...  Read Full »

Operated for cervical cancer. Explain about the current stage of the tumour ?

Query: Hello Doctor, My mother was operated on 18th July for cervical cancer (Wertheim's Hysterectomy). The operation was successful and she is fine and recovering. After the surgical biopsy, they declared it as stage 2B. Further we sent her slides to the laboratory for review and there they found th...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the reports and my opinion is as follows: Diagnosis is that of squamous cell carcinoma of cervix, moderately differentiated, non-keratinizing type. Your mother has undergone Wertheim's hysterectomy, also called radical hysterectomy. This is the surgic...  Read Full »

Is surgery really required for squamous cell carcinoma of tongue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma (tongue) after biopsy report. I have completed PET scan, CT scan, and biopsy. I want advise on the treatment plan. Is surgery really required for good results?  Read Full »

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). My diagnosis is squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue with probably neck nodes involvement. The lesion is quite large, crossing the midline and touching the alveolus. At this stage, s...  Read Full »