Steroids

Is it safe to restart Prednisone?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with gout in left foot. It has been bothering me for a couple of weeks. Last month, I had issue with my elbow and took Prednisone. Recently, doctor said I cannot take Prednisone again so soon and was essentially screwed. Are there any other treatment options or drugs? How ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no such restriction about restarting Prednisone. As long as there is a clinical need and we have exhausted other options then there is no contraindication to restart steroids. Surely, NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) should be tried be...  Read Full »

My MRI is normal, but I have severe headaches. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old and have been experiencing pain for almost a year. I have developed anxiety and at times lead to panic attacks. My doctor put me on Sertraline 25 mg. I took it once and never again. After this, I experienced weird symptoms with my head. I feel an electric shock like ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand most of your symptoms. You said constant nerve pain in the right side of your head on one spot. I would like to know the spot exactly. The best would be if you can attach a line diagram of human head and mark the area on it to avoid confusion. The rest of your...  Read Full »

What causes recurrent rashes in the neck?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 63 years old and has rashes in his neck. He had rash before and got medication by a family doctor (a Steroid and Zantac). He is also taking allergy medication. Since then the previous rash subsided. Now that he completed his 30 days prescription, he got another set of rashes...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Microbiologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have examined the pictures as well as the details sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I find a similarity of the condition with irritant dermatitis complicated by steroid dependence. Had I been able to examine him in person, I would have ...  Read Full »

Do steroids make you more sexually active?

Query: Hi doctor, What is the effect of sex for an athlete? Does sex cause any bad side effects while taking steroids? Because it is said that having sex is not good while taking a steroid cycle as if it will decrease the gains from the steroid. What is the effect of sex on the body generally?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sex has no ill effect on your body. It is one kind of exercise and stress reliever. It releases endorphins and oxytocin in your body which reduces stress, boosts immunity, relieves pain and enhances mood. Sex increases heart rate, blood pressure, etc., and you might feel...  Read Full »

Can Hydrozole be used for jock itch?

Query: Hi doctor, I had jock itch two months ago for the very first time. It is still there but fading. I started using Hydrozole cream two weeks ago, it seems to be working. How long it would take for a complete cure? After using this cream I fell some itch in legs. Now the groin skin appears red and ver...  Read Full »

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hydrozole (combination of Hydrocortisone and Clotrimazole) cream contains steroid and should not be used as a treatment for jock itch (fungal infection of the groin). You will experience temporary relief while using it but your condition will aggravate once you stop using...  Read Full »

Why does one develop swelling after snake bite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old female. I got cottonmouth bite on the back of the left and right ankle. Three people saw and confirmed that as cottonmouth. I do not believe much venom was released. It happened under shallow water. I got immediate pain as if repeatedly the ankle and feet got hit with a...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could understand your crisis. Usually in the absence of venom in the blood, the following are the possibilities: The snake bite site may get sepsis (infected with bacteria) and that spreads to the whole leg. Trauma to nearby objects during the act of escaping...  Read Full »

I had corneal ulcer after my PRK surgery. I am on antibiotics and steroids. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I have done PRK eye surgery about a month ago in both eyes. A few days later, my left eye had some weird blurred vision which turned out to be corneal ulcer that is in the center and relatively big. I got treated immediately with heavy antibiotics Ceftin or Vigamox. After two to three w...  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Indeed a corneal ulcer requires patience, time, and continuous monitoring until it is fully healed or scar forms. Sometimes it might take up to a year and more. It is however mandatory that you add to the list of eye drops that you are using a lubricant (artificial t...  Read Full »

Ulcerative colitis with bleeding in stool

Query: Hello doctor, I have ulcerative colitis for more than two months. I pass more than seven stools a day (loose stools). Constant bleeding before every stool from the rectum. Fever, rapid heartbeat, and anemia. And have a fungal infection, taking medicine too.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For ulcerative colitis, an anti-inflammatory drug like Sulfasalazine group of drugs can be started. (In a severe case, Steroid can be prescribed for a short duration). Immunosuppressive drugs prescribed if needed. Anti-diarrheal medication also can be prescribed to d...  Read Full »

Can liver problem be caused by reducing the dose of Dexamethasone?

Query: Hi doctor, Almost 5 years back, my father had an operation for a brain tumor in the left tempero-parietal region. He had Dexamethasone injections 12 mg and radiation on a linear accelerator 51 and 45. After two years, he had a CT and everything was fine. He even walked. But, when we started lowerin...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know a few things very clear here. From your history, I gather that he had surgery on the brain and was on steroids post-op. And also he received radiotherapy. For what condition the brain surgery was done? He might be having what is called as steroid-...  Read Full »

What does borderline positive c-ANCA levels indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, My c-ANCA levels are 5.6 U/ml (borderline positive). I have hypertension and proteinuria (3g), high serum creatinine (2.4) and UTI. My other autoimmune tests and serum electrophoresis results are negative. What should I do and what is the general prognosis?  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: C-ANCA (Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies) positivity indicates Wegener's Granulomatosis. In this condition, there is involvement of upper and lower respiratory tract and kidneys. Most common diagnosis, while kidneys a...  Read Full »