A stroke is caused when the blood supply to the brain is interrupted, causing a deprivation of oxygen and nutrients to the brain tissues. It can happen when the blood vessels in the brain rupture or if there is a blockage. The symptoms include paralysis, confusion, slurred speech, blurred vision, dizziness, confusion, and loss of balance.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My father's a stroke survivor but since then he is depressed most of the times. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, My father had a stroke, after which he is not interested in eating or drinking, lacks interest, and sleeps excessively in the daytime. His recovery seems extremely slow.  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. There can be multiple factors (singly or in combination) for such symptoms after a stroke at this age: 1. Stroke itself may be a reason if it affects the brain's thalamus. 2. Post-stroke depression is a widespread phenomenon. 3. Underlying...  Read Full »

Will I get a stroke if my heartbeat increase during an exercise?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 76-year-old woman, weigh 121 lbs, BMI 20. The exam results from annual wellness check-up are as follows: Coronary calcium scan: LMA 0, LAD 185, LCX 1, RCA 90, Total: 276. Routine wellness EKG summary: aortic valve thickened and calcified. Normal mitral valve with mild mitral r...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Firstly, answering your queries, you should visit a cardiologist regularly and avoid strenuous activities in order to reduce the risk of acute coronary syndrome. Your echo has some abnormalities which are age-related and there is no evidence of CAD. However, calcium ...  Read Full »

I had an episode of atrial fibrillation recently. Am I at risk of getting a stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34-year-old female. Last night I experienced an episode of atrial fibrillation. My heartbeat was fluttering, and my heart rate was high. I read on the internet that alcohol can contribute to this, and I had been drinking throughout the previous day. My periods is also delayed. C...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, alcohol can cause adverse health effects in the body and affect the liver, heart, and brain. It can also cause atrial fibrillation. In addition, anxiety can increase heart rate and cause palpitations. I suggest the following. 1. Stop alcohol immediately. 2. G...  Read Full »

My hypertensive father has involuntary bowel movements and cannot walk or hold things. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My father, age 86, complained of being unable to walk, grasp, and hold things, involuntary bowel movements, and hypertension. Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. IIncomplete speech, muscle weakness, and involuntary bowel motion are all signs of neurological issues, most probably either stroke or normal pressure hydrocephalus (which cause a triad of dementia, abnormal walking, and urinary incontinence)...  Read Full »

An 80-year-old male had a stroke in the left hemisphere. Please give suggestions for post-insult rehabilitation.

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is an 80-year-old male theoretical physicist. Before a stroke, he was healthy. However, a stroke affected the left brain hemisphere a few months ago, and a thrombectomy was performed. Rehabilitation phase since the beginning of last month, and now at home. Physical condition s...  Read Full »

Dr. Florilyn Joyce Chulsi Bentrez

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. The left hemisphere is an eloquent area. Post-stroke rehabilitation would include cognitive rehabilitation, which will focus on the cognitive domain involved, like, for instance, language. Nootropics such as Oxiracetam are good but will work ...  Read Full »

What is the cause of my stroke, aneurysms, and other neurological problems?

Query: Hi doctor,I have had four-plus strokes in the last four years. After my first stroke, the neurologist said I had two lesions on the brain that looked autoimmune-related and an abnormal white matter for my age. The last time I had strokes was three years ago. However, I had neurological issues well b...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello,Welcome to understand your concern. I passed carefully through your question and your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity). I would suggest performing further tests to investigate the possible cause of stroke.In this regard, I would suggest the followi...  Read Full »

Why does my 83-year-old grandfather hear sounds that others cannot hear?

Query: Hello doctor, My father aged 83 years is physically healthy but he is hearing some of the old friends sound continuously which we cannot hear, for 10 days. So, kindly give us some advice as soon as possible.  Read Full »

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to This symptom of hearing things when there is no sound is known as an auditory hallucination. At his age, there could be a number of causes of the same as: 1. A stroke which has affected the blood supply of the part of the brain responsible for hearing. This is likel...  Read Full »

Why is there complete paralysis and difficulty in walking after an accident?

Query: Hi doctor, A recent accident happened to my father which makes him unable to walk. A week ago, he suddenly fell on the ground while walking and his right leg was injured. He was transferred to hospital and X-ray indicted his leg is not broken but severely ricked, as a result, it is not moving and wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read carefully your question and would explain that this clinical situation could be caused by a stroke, which is probably the cause of falling. Another possible cause would be a nerve damage related to the trauma. For this reason, it is important performing a brain...  Read Full »

My mother-in-law is on life support after suffering a heart attack and two strokes. What are the chances of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother-in-law, in her fifties, recently had a heart attack and two strokes due to high stress. She also had a blood clot and two brain surgeries back to back. They say that she is brain-dead on her right side and paralyzed on her right side, and they keep saying that she is unrespon...  Read Full »

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. Your mother-in-law suffered a heart attack and stroke, causing paralysis on the right side secondary to a clot blocking the blood flow of the cerebral artery or may be due to a hemorrhage in the brain. She is on life suppo...  Read Full »

Can reactive thrombocytosis cause stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, I donated plasma through plasmapheresis. When the IV was initially inserted, my blood did not flow through the machine. The technician came by and wiggled the IV, but the blood still did not flow. The technician then switched the IV to my other arm. It began to flow after about five mi...  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It is very rare for reactive thrombocytosis to cause a stroke. It may happen if you have other risk factors for stroke like hypertension and high cholesterol. However, I am hoping that they have ruled out other causes of thrombocytosis (increased platelet co...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.