Q. Can Aspirin reduce the risk of stroke during flight travel in a patient with high RBC, Hb, hematocrit?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat
Published on Jan 01, 2019

I am a 49-year-old male, 6'4" and 300 lbs. I take very low doses testosterone, an estrogen blocker, and HGH. All very low dosages. I will be on a six hours international flight tomorrow and I am concerned about some health risks. I have high levels of the following: RBC of 6.61, hemoglobin of 19, hematocrit of 57. I tried to have blood drawn today but the facility cancelled the appointment. Will aspirin help reduce the risks of stroke?

#

I agree with you. There is a risk of leg vein thrombosis in deep veins of legs due to prolong sitting. Aspirin do help according to some studies, might be not as beneficial as full anticoagulants like Heparin, etc., but take Aspirin 325 mg (not 75 or 81 mg) one hour before flight with meal. Walk during flight in aisles frequently. Keep yourself hydrated. I believe you will be fine.

Should I continue to take Aspirin for the entire length of the trip or until I can get the blood drain done?

#

Yes, you can continue taking Aspirin but just 325 mg one tablet daily but once you are not sitting for long time (completed travel), I am not sure how beneficial it will be. Always take with meal, empty stomach can cause GI disturbances.

I have increased white cells, proteins, leucocytes and epithelial cells in my urine. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My partner is 48 years old, and her weight is 65 kilograms. She has RBC of 5.6 mcL, Hb of 15.3 g/dL, and creatinine of 0.9 mg/dL. The urine report shows white cells of 60 to 80 WBCs per high power field. There are traces of proteins, leucocytes, and epithelial cells also.  Read Full »

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full »