Q. Can Aspirin reduce the risk of stroke during flight travel in a patient with high RBC, Hb, hematocrit?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

I am a 49-year-old male, 6'4" and 300 lbs. I take very low doses testosterone, an estrogen blocker, and HGH. All very low dosages. I will be on a six hours international flight tomorrow and I am concerned about some health risks. I have high levels of the following: RBC of 6.61, hemoglobin of 19, hematocrit of 57. I tried to have blood drawn today but the facility cancelled the appointment. Will aspirin help reduce the risks of stroke?

#

I agree with you. There is a risk of leg vein thrombosis in deep veins of legs due to prolong sitting. Aspirin do help according to some studies, might be not as beneficial as full anticoagulants like Heparin, etc., but take Aspirin 325 mg (not 75 or 81 mg) one hour before flight with meal. Walk during flight in aisles frequently. Keep yourself hydrated. I believe you will be fine.

| 

Should I continue to take Aspirin for the entire length of the trip or until I can get the blood drain done?

#

Yes, you can continue taking Aspirin but just 325 mg one tablet daily but once you are not sitting for long time (completed travel), I am not sure how beneficial it will be. Always take with meal, empty stomach can cause GI disturbances.

|