iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersNeurologytapewormCan tapeworms cause other long-term neurological issues?

What evidence supports the tapeworm-migraine link?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 11, 2024
Reviewed AtJune 11, 2024

Patient's Query

I have been experiencing frequent migraines lately, and I am concerned about a potential link between tapeworm infestations and neurological symptoms. Can tapeworms in the brain trigger migraines? Furthermore, does consuming foods like bacon, which might contain tapeworm larvae, increase the risk of migraines and other neurological complications related to tapeworms?

Kindly help.

Hi

I understand your concern.

There is no direct relationship between tapeworms and migraine. Albeit, tapeworm infestation may result in progressive headaches and neurological problems if it causes cysts in the brain. However, these exacerbating symptoms are different from migraine.

If you have a new daily headache ( without a previous history of migraine), or you have had migraine headaches, but you experience a significant change in the severity or frequency of your headaches, then you need to be investigated by a physician (preferably a neurologist) and usually a brain imaging is necessary. It is a rule in clinical practice for anyone who reports a significant change in their headaches.

I hope this information will help.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Seyedaidin Sajedi
Dr. Seyedaidin Sajedi

Neurology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

tapewormmigraine

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Neurology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy