Tapeworm

What are the precautions for a tapeworm infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have severe Crohn's disease, which is not under control. I ate a piece of medium rare steak with tapeworm in it, and I am terrified that I may have got tapeworm infection. I have tried puking, but not much came out as my body does not process things completely before passing it on. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tapeworm infection occurs by ingesting the eggs, not by an adult worm. The ingested egg complete their life cycle in the host. The symptoms of tapeworm infection are varied, and it depends on the site of infection, for example, seizures in the case of CNS (central nervo...  Read Full »

Is parasitic eye infection contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had some irritation in her eye. So, we went to the doctor, who said she has a parasite in her eye. After reading about it on the internet, I am worried that she might go blind. It is a very new relationship, so I wanted to know if it is contagious?  Read Full »

Dr. Bandivadekar Pooja Mohan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The parasite inside the eye is usually, cysticercus or hydatid. It is not transmitted through natural sexual routes. It is usually ingested through food. Some parasites, for example, lice or mites infesting the eyelashes are transmitted through physical contact. But, the...  Read Full »

How to get rid of chronic diarrhea with tapeworms in stools in a diabetic?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a type 1 diabetic and I suffered chronic diarrhea for the past 10 years. Finally, the doctor found tape worms, and eggs in the stool. I had several rounds of praziquantel, last round was 2 weeks ago with 650 mg per day with a break in between. I took supplements of all kinds, and...  Read Full »

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suppose you must give a brief history of the nature of your diarrhea. Like mostly it is oily and malodorous, watery or gassy? Does it have any relation to meals? Do you feel any abdominal pain, fever, or itching at the anal area? Do you ever have a low Hb? Any loss...  Read Full »

What does neurocysticercosis mean?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to have an opinion about my brother's recent medical condition. He has been diagnosed with neurocysticercosis. Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel sorry for your brother's recent disease. Neurocysticercosis is a parasitic disease and is actually the most common of the parasitic brain diseases. It is caused by Tenia solium, a tapeworm that is found in pigs. It damages the cerebral cortex at first and then may ...  Read Full »

I suspect I may have tapeworms. What can I do to get rid of them?

Query: Hello doctor, I suspect I may have tapeworms. How can I be sure and what can I do to get rid of them?  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Stool tests can identify tapeworm infestation. However, because the worms and eggs are shed intermittently, the test may have to be repeated three to four times if the initial test is negative. Stool tests can also identify other intestinal parasites. Blood tests (sero...  Read Full »