Q. Can I have testosterone blockers to prevent testosterone production?

Answered by
Dr. Divakara P
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 20 year old male and I do not want to do a MTF transition. However, I would like to stop my body from being affected by testosterone. I just turned 20 and as I grow older my body will continue to produce testosterone which will change my body into something more manly and cause me to lose my youthful relatively more feminine appearance. I would like to prevent that by taking testosterone blockers. Can I do this? Additionally, if I take the testosterone blockers, will there be any permanent effects? Or will the effects eventually wear off after taking them? Thank you.



Welcome to

First let me make sure that I have understood your query. Basically you are a male and want to remain as a male but you need to avoid the manly transition and retain your feminine look. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Well, there are many ways to do that. But what is important here is do you wish to retain your feminine look for entire life or only for few years? Do you want to have sexual orientation as a male or as a female?

The available options are as surgical castration, medical castration and testosterone blockers. In surgical castration only testes will be removed and not the entire genitals and no operation in medical castration but testes will stop producing testosterone.

Testosterone blockers will reduce the action of testosterone on the body as long as you take them but once you stop them the testosterone starts showing its effects. Moreover you need to keep taking the blockers for as long as you need the effect and hence if you take it for longer duration the chances to have permanent side effects increases.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Prostate Cancer, a nightmare

Prostate is a gland within men's body structure which is important for the vital activity of sperms ... Prostate can be a nightmare over the age of 50 years, as this gland can become a deadly can...   Read full

I need a second opinion regarding my father's scan reports.

This is a gallium PSMA (prostate-specific membrane antigen) scan done for the whole body ... The patient in the scan had undergone radical prostatectomy for prostate canc...   Read full

Kindly tell me the best medicine to cure prostate enlargement.

That said the most likely reason in your case must be reduced testosterone levels, which can be checked ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Endocrinologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.