Q. Can I have testosterone blockers to prevent testosterone production?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I am a 20 year old male and I do not want to do a MTF transition. However, I would like to stop my body from being affected by testosterone. I just turned 20 and as I grow older my body will continue to produce testosterone which will change my body into something more manly and cause me to lose my youthful relatively more feminine appearance. I would like to prevent that by taking testosterone blockers. Can I do this? Additionally, if I take the testosterone blockers, will there be any permanent effects? Or will the effects eventually wear off after taking them? Thank you.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

First let me make sure that I have understood your query. Basically you are a male and want to remain as a male but you need to avoid the manly transition and retain your feminine look. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Well, there are many ways to do that. But what is important here is do you wish to retain your feminine look for entire life or only for few years? Do you want to have sexual orientation as a male or as a female?

The available options are as surgical castration, medical castration and testosterone blockers. In surgical castration only testes will be removed and not the entire genitals and no operation in medical castration but testes will stop producing testosterone.

Testosterone blockers will reduce the action of testosterone on the body as long as you take them but once you stop them the testosterone starts showing its effects. Moreover you need to keep taking the blockers for as long as you need the effect and hence if you take it for longer duration the chances to have permanent side effects increases.

|