Q. I need a second opinion regarding my father's scan reports.

Answered by
Dr. Shahil Khant
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2021

Hello doctor,

I need a second opinion on the results that came back from the doctor's report. Can you explain the report and the steps that we need to take further on this matter?



Welcome to

Relax and do not worry. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I will explain you in detail.

  • This is a gallium PSMA (prostate-specific membrane antigen) scan done for the whole body.
  • The patient in the scan had undergone radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer.
  • Now during the follow-up, there is a slight rise in prostate-specific antigen (PSA) which might represent local or metastatic recurrence anywhere in the body. So, they have done a PSMA scan, which shows no cancer either at the local site or anywhere else in the body.
  • There might be micrometastasis (spread of cancer) somewhere, but it is not detectable in the PSMA scan which means it is not clinically significant at present.

For further information consult a urologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

My father underwent surgery two years back because his PSA was very high. The intent of the surgery was to remove cancer out of the body. Now two years later, the number is increasing slowly and one doctor has recommended radiotherapy with 45 sessions, which will take three years to complete. I need to know what we should do now. Do we have a concern that he only has a few years left?



Welcome back to

  • As per the report of PSMA, he does not have any recurrence at present, either at the local operative site or any metastasis.
  • There are many options from here. Either you can wait and watch or you can start treatment with hormonal therapy (medical castration) or can undergo radiotherapy.
  • The best decision would be taken by your treating doctor by consulting you and your father, because each one has its own advantage and disadvantages and require physical counseling.
  • I do not think at present his life is in danger. The prostate cancer is a very slow-growing type of cancer. So, do not worry. He still has many more years left. 

For further information consult a urologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will chemotherapy work for prostate cancer in an elderly patient?

Hello doctor, My relative aged 82 years is suffering from prostate cancer ... It is important to know when the cancer spread was first detected ...   Read full

Is prostate cancer hereditary?

Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. My problem is that my mind set is so negative and it does not remain the same. At present, I am suffering from stress. Please give me your valuable suggestions.   Read full

Kindly explain whether there is any metastasis in CT report.

Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. My problem is that my mind set is so negative and it does not remain the same. At present, I am suffering from stress. Please give me your valuable suggestions.   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.