Q. I need a second opinion regarding my father's scan reports.

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2021

I need a second opinion on the results that came back from the doctor's report. Can you explain the report and the steps that we need to take further on this matter?

#

Relax and do not worry. I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I will explain you in detail.

• This is a gallium PSMA (prostate-specific membrane antigen) scan done for the whole body.
  • The patient in the scan had undergone radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer.
  • Now during the follow-up, there is a slight rise in prostate-specific antigen (PSA) which might represent local or metastatic recurrence anywhere in the body. So, they have done a PSMA scan, which shows no cancer either at the local site or anywhere else in the body.
  • There might be micrometastasis (spread of cancer) somewhere, but it is not detectable in the PSMA scan which means it is not clinically significant at present.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

My father underwent surgery two years back because his PSA was very high. The intent of the surgery was to remove cancer out of the body. Now two years later, the number is increasing slowly and one doctor has recommended radiotherapy with 45 sessions, which will take three years to complete. I need to know what we should do now. Do we have a concern that he only has a few years left?

#

• As per the report of PSMA, he does not have any recurrence at present, either at the local operative site or any metastasis.
  • There are many options from here. Either you can wait and watch or you can start treatment with hormonal therapy (medical castration) or can undergo radiotherapy.
  • The best decision would be taken by your treating doctor by consulting you and your father, because each one has its own advantage and disadvantages and require physical counseling.
  • I do not think at present his life is in danger. The prostate cancer is a very slow-growing type of cancer. So, do not worry. He still has many more years left. 

|