Q. My teeth are black. I dont want to lose any teeth. Please advise.

Dr. Subha
Published on Jun 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 08, 2018

My teeth are black. It looks like it is in the starting stage of tooth decay. I do not want to lose any teeth. Please advise.

Dr. Subha

Dentistry
#

Black spots on the teeth are indicative of initial stages of teeth decay. But you need not worry since this stage is repairable. There are no chances of losing your teeth at this stage.

For healthier teeth and to prevent tooth decay try to follow these suggestions:

• Avoid sticky food items.
  • Avoid snacking between meals.
  • Rinse your mouth thoroughly soon after each meal.
  • Brush twice daily with toothbrush and toothpaste.
  • Get a dental checkup done once every six months.

If there is any food lodgement in the tooth associated with the color change, it should be treated as early as possible because decay might spread deeper leading to a toothache.

Shall we go ahead with GA for dental procedures of my 2.6 years old?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 2.6 years old. His four front teeth look black now. The enamel did not form in the front teeth when it erupted. Also, the molars have very deep cavity as can be seen in the image and there are other small cavities too. His teeth were crooked and got decayed so fast. The pedodont...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is no need for such procedure at this age. The front four teeth will usually never cause any pain to the child, but it has to remain there to maintain the space till the permanent teeth come in its space. So, leave the front four teeth as it is. The molar teeth, whi...  Read Full

My teeth still pain after a fluoride varnish. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I had gone to a dentist. He applied fluoride varnish paste on my teeth saying that the cavities are very small. But my teeth are still paining. What to do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Subha
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dental varnish contains fluoride which is anticarious and hence prevents the progression of tooth decay. Pit caries are very minute and very minimal cavities that are superficially present on the teeth. Pit caries does not require fillings because to do the filling,...  Read Full

Can calcium hydroxide cause toothache while root canal treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a crown in one of my teeth on the lower left bottom. The crown came off. I went to the dentist who suggested root canal even when I did not have any problem. The root canal was completed and the crown was placed. After a few days, my teeth used to pain only on consuming hot wate...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question I can understand your concern. The pain may be because of post RCT infection or because of the accessory canal in the root that becomes sometimes difficult to manage. In case it in infection you need to take antibiotics and that will he...  Read Full