Tracheostomy

Why is a 28-year-old not able to breathe off the ventilator?

Query: Hi doctor, My query is regarding a female patient aged 28 years. She has been on ventilator by means of a tracheostomy for 50 days. She has been on CPAP mode for two weeks, but unable to sustain respiration off the ventilator. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Young female on prolonged ventilator through tracheostomy and having difficulty in weaning is considered to be a very bad prognosis. You have not mentioned proper medical history, indications for ventilation and under which medications she is on. There are many things...  Read Full »

How long can tracheostomy tube be kept in the neck?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother is having the problem of not able to breathe properly. Now the doctor has planned to advise for tracheostomy. How long it should be in the neck? Will there be any complication?  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. See, tracheostomy is done if it is expected that the patient who is on ventilator may take more than 10 days to come out of ventilator. Now the duration till it will be there in neck depends on the cause for which tracheostomy has been done. If his primary disease impro...  Read Full »

How can I take care of a brain paralysis patient at home?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother's age is 65 years. 15 days back she got brain paralysis on both sides (autoimmune encephalitis). Now the doctor is saying treatment is over. Now take her to home and just give nursing to her. Still feeding pipe is there. How we should take care of her at home?  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your concerns seem genuine. There are a lot of neurological conditions, medical conditions which do not get completely improved. Either they remain as such with a deficit or may have some clinical improvement with time. It is the limitations of medical science. But s...  Read Full »

Why is there aspiration of feeds in baby and what can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby has undergone hospitalization many times since birth. She has been placed with tracheostomy and gastrostomy tube due to which mobility of the baby is not possible. We are consulting with renowned ENT surgeons and pediatric doctors and we had been told that ''the aspiration can b...  Read Full »

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The aspiration of feeds is due to the presence of bulbar palsy and palate pharyngeal muscle incoordination. As per the doctor's advise, try to improve the nutrition of the child and weight. Once the child gains a proper weight, then decannulation (removing tracheostomy...  Read Full »

My father is in coma.Tracheostomy has been done.Is it safe to remove tracheostomy at this stage?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is in coma. Tracheostomy has been done. He is off the ventilator, but has coughing problems. His GCS is 7. Is it safe to remove tracheostomy at this stage?    Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If his breathing pattern is normal and he is maintaining oxygen saturation in normal limits, he can be considered for tracheostomy closure.  But if there is no significant improvement in GCS (Glasgow Coma Scale) or if not expected to improve, then better remove the trach...  Read Full »

Can you predict the survival of my father who is having spontaneous brain stem bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 61 years old, complaints of an episode of vomiting followed by unresponsiveness along with decrease movement. As per summary, there is spontaneous brain stem bleeding with obstructive hydrocephalus that is, post EVD. I want to know about his survival risk. I am waiting...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father is having right basal ganglia bleeding with intraventricular extension - EVD in situ. Such patients have very slow recovery (after stabilization), which may take weeks to months. But, the most important thing required is good nursing care. It includes Ryles...  Read Full »