Q. How will the quality of life be for a 77-year-old patient after a tracheostomy?

Dr. Anjali

My 77-year-old father is in ICU, and he is advised for a tracheostomy procedure. Kindly help me know the quality of life and survival rate after this procedure.

Thanks.

#

Thanks for your query.

Tracheostomy is needed if a patient has difficulty in weaning with a ventilator. However, the quality of life after the ventilator depends upon the hygienic care during suction and tube change. A need for tracheostomy depends upon the patient's health condition and the physician's opinion.

Is your father still on a ventilator? And how much is his SpO2?

Thanks.

My father is on T piece oxygen therapy. The ventilator is already off. He is conscious and responding sometimes. As per the ICU team, he is not able to remove secretion like phlegm by himself, and so a tracheostomy is a must. My query is, what is the quality of life and survival chances o my father after a tracheostomy?

Thanks.

#

Many patients do well with tracheostomy for a year or two, and later it will be removed. However, as your patient is old and cannot remove secretions on his own, you will need to suction out his secretions. His prognosis at home depends upon nursing care. If his secretions do not thin out, then it will lead to blockage of the tube. If your patient has poor consciousness, then it will be difficult to manage the patient at home. However, the patient can have a good prognosis in a good conscious level and good nursing care.

|