Q. I get tremors in my chin that lasts only for a second. Is it something serious?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

I am 25. Since three days, I have been experiencing sensations like twitches/ jerks/ tremors specifically in my chin area. I noticed that when I talk, eat or when something falls down from my hand suddenly, I get a tremor in my chin. They last for a second only. I went to a doctor (not a neurologist but an internal medicine specialist) and as per him, I have a B-complex deficiency and he gave me 30 tablets of B-complex. He feels that the tremor while talking or eating that I face is coincidental. However, he did tell me that if I was very anxious we could get an MRI done. Apart from this, I also get mild muscle twitches in the eye, face, and legs. And sometimes, I feel a shortness of breath and when I get very scared there is tightness in my throat. I actually read a lot about this on the net and to be very honest, I have become very scared after reading about brain tumor, multiple sclerosis, etc. I wanted a second opinion. My doctor said I am otherwise very healthy so I should just take the vitamins and focus on my work and other activities. But I cannot stop thinking about brain tumor and other neurological disorders. Should I get an MRI? Or is this something that is not serious? Please help.

#

I understand your concerns.

From what you mentioned, you most likely have what is called benign fasciculation syndrome which is usually due to stress and anxiety.

You should not worry, it is benign and you do not have to perform MRI or any other investigations.

Do you feel anxious most of the time? Do you have a stressful life? Do you eat and sleep well?

I suggest:

1. Stay away from stress and try to perform relaxing activities.
  2. Lyrica 150 mg tablet (Pregabalin) before bedtime for three weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  3. Follow up is required.

Wish you all well being.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|