Q. Can essential tremor get transferred genetically?

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

The person I am taking about is having severe tremors in the hand and fingers while going to new places. So, the person avoids huge crowd and sound. The person is 30 now and said that the problem was there from his childhood. All of the siblings have this tremor in the hand and finger. If the men or women from the affected family marry the person outside the family, then does it come to the child? Is this type of tremor curable? Women in the family are not able to hold the lid of the pressure cooker and cut vegetables. Men in the family are not able to hold the tea cup that means hands are shaking and not able to dial a number in a mobile phone without shaking. They underwent test before 10 years and was diagnosed to have essential tremor. Now, I want to know the answers to the following questions. What is the further impact and symptoms of essential tremor over a period of time if left untreated? How does it affect the daily activities? Is it genetically transferable to the next generation? Do we have any permanent cure for essential tremor? If the person has essential tremor, then what are the chances of linkage to other illnesses and disorders?

#

I have read your question with care and understand your doubts regarding essential tremors.

If not treated, the person will not be able to do or will do with much difficulty works involving fingers like writing, mixing food, button shirts, etc. Activities which require co-ordinated movements of the fingers will be affected.

Essential tremors can be due to various reasons and a few of these reasons are transmitted genetically. A few are acquired. Even among the ones which are transmitted genetically, it can be AD, AR, XD, XR that is autosomal dominant, autosomal resistant, X-linked dominant and X-linked resistant respectively.

So, unless we know the exact cause of this tremor, we cannot answer about genetic transmission. Without knowing the exact cause, the answer for this question is 0 to 100 (0 for acquired and 100 for AD).

The cure of essential tremor depends on the cause. A few causes can be cured completely, a few causes can be controlled and a few cannot be cured at all.

Again, the link with other illness and disorders depends on the cause of the tremor.

Coming to this particular patient, who has this when going to new places or during anxiety, this tremors can be controlled with proper medication. You have to consult a neurosurgeon who has had experience in successfully treating such patients for physical evaluation.

For further information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

Thank you for your excellent reply. What is meant by AD, AR, XD and XR. If the cause is genetic, will it affect next generation? As this runs in the family and also their grandparents has it.

#

AD, AR, XD and XR are various modes by which a disease is transmitted genetically.

• You have mentioned that the tremors run in the family. But, you have not told me the mode by which it is transmitted. So, I am not able to tell whether it will affect next generation or not.
  • If we find whether the disease is multifactorial or single gene and also whether it is transmitted by AD, AR, XD and XR, then we can say for sure whether the next generation will be affected or not.
  • As I had already mentioned, you have to consult a neurosurgeon like me for complete evaluation.

|