Q. Is it true that beta blockers are helpful in treating tremors?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 31, 2021

I am 28 years old. I am suffering from the tremor. Initially, the tremor was not so severe and now, it is severe with shaking hands and head. I came to know that beta blockers are helpful in curing it. Is that true? Can you please suggest if there is any medication for it.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• First of all, I would like to inform you that it is not possible to tell whether beta blockers are effective as the presence of tremor can occur due to various medical conditions such as hyperthyroidism, alcohol abuse, anxiety as well as essential tremors.
  • In case they are essential tremors, then the beta blockers can be used to help it. The most common beta blocker in this regard is Propranolol, which should be taken only after getting a prescription from your doctor as there are various side effects with its use.
  • To rule out the other conditions, it is advisable to undergo complete blood count, renal function test, liver function tests and thyroid profile from the nearby laboratory.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|