Q. I have tremors and fatigue which improve with Iron and worsen with periods. Please advise.

Dr. Smrita Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

I am just wondering if it is possible to have neurological symptoms with low ferritin levels. My hemoglobin is 13, but the last check on ferritin said it was 5.3. I am suffering severe internal tremors, fatigue, cold hands and feet and weak shaking legs. My symptoms improve while on a short course of iron, but the minute my period arrives, I am a mess again with my symptoms back to square one. Any advice would be appreciated.

#

• A low ferritin can cause fatigue and weakness.
  1. CBC (complete blood count)
  2. Differentials.
  3. Hemoglobin.
  4. RBC (Red blood cell).
  5. Hematocrit.
  6. RDW-CV.
  7. MCV.
  8. MCH.
  9. Serum iron.
  10. TIBC (total iron binding capacity).
  11. Saturation rate.
  12. Ferritin.
  • I would advise you to continue taking iron tablets till your ferritin levels are at least 65. You could try taking iron tablets along with lemon juice in water as it will increase the absorption.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|