Q. I have ulcerative colitis and got bloody stool due to constipation. Please suggest a medicine.

Dr. Sony Subhash
Published on Nov 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2019

I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about a year back with 30-40 cm from the anal area by colonoscopy. I started taking Asacol (Mesalazine delayed-release tablets) about two tablets twice a day and now it has reduced to two tablets a day. I am also taking Ayurvedic medicine Mochras one tablet twice a day, Bilva compound one tablet twice a day, Jatamansi two tablets at night, Manasamitra vatakam one tablet at night.

Again since last week or so, I had a bloody stool due to severe constipation. I am still having an urge to go to the toilet often four to five times a day. Could you suggest the best possible medication and exercises to put my UC into remission for years?

Dr. Sony Subhash

#

Diet and pranayama are the ones which shall be given key importance here. I shall suggest you to have good quantity of fruits and fiber rich diet for the next one week. You can have oats meal for both breakfast and dinner. Consume rice soup with a pinch of salt as lunch. Have fruits in the midway when you feel hungry. This along with medications, will help to reduce both inflammation in ulcerative colitis and bleeding stool. Medicines you are consuming right now is perfectly fine and no change is needed in it. Adapt to the change in diet as mentioned for the next week and follow up. Here it will be helpful to you if you practice pranayama for 10 minutes daily as well.

Kindly keep a gap of 30 minutes between allopathic and ayurvedic medicines.

I have lost 13 kg due to ulcerative colitis. Please suggest an ayurvedic cure.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year old male. I have ulcerative colitis since last year. I have lost 13 kg in the last 18 months. I was previously 73 kg. I now weigh 60 kg. I have frequent motions, even up to six times a day. But, the consistency of the stools is alright. I also have stomach pain sometime...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease and a very notorious disease. Its progress depends on your diet pattern and life style. You are taking good medicines but, I would suggest some changes. You should stop the allopathic medicine gradually. Take the foll...  Read Full

How to get treated for ulcerative colitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from ulcerative colitis for the past five years. I had a colonoscopy twice and sigmoidoscopy once in the past five years. I am 28 years old. I had Balacol 750 mg six times a day and Mesacol enema for a month. Because of short supply of Balacol, I cannot take it for one week...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com We are here to help you. You seem to be suffering from ulcerative colitis and that requires evidence of the findings in colonoscopy and biopsy. This is a chronic condition and requires chronic treatment based on the severity of the disease and the ongoing symptoms. Treatm...  Read Full

Ulcerative colitis with bleeding in stool

Query: Hello doctor, I have ulcerative colitis for more than two months. I pass more than seven stools a day (loose stools). Constant bleeding before every stool from the rectum. Fever, rapid heartbeat, and anemia. And have a fungal infection, taking medicine too.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For ulcerative colitis, an anti-inflammatory drug like Sulfasalazine group of drugs can be started. (In a severe case, Steroid can be prescribed for a short duration). Immunosuppressive drugs prescribed if needed. Anti-diarrheal medication also can be prescribed to d...  Read Full

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now