Q. Will high platelet count cause a blood clot or stroke?

Published on Nov 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My mother has high WBC count of 15,000, platelet count of 5,40,000, and hemoglobin at 11.2. Her ESR is 86, and CRP is also similar. She has a fever, which rises in the evening to 101. Can you please tell me what this denotes? Also, will the high platelet count cause a danger for a blood clot or stroke? Currently, she is taking Mesacol 800 mg, VSL#3, Amodep-AT for blood pressure, and Thyronorm for thyroid.

Hematology Pathology
#

• High platelet count will not lead to thrombosis in the body. Do not worry about that. High platelet is because of reactive thrombocytosis, and that can occur in bleeding, anemia, infection, inflammation, etc.
  • You have an ulcer in the colon, and it seems to be ulcerative colitis, for which, you have been prescribed Mesacol (Mesalamine). So, biopsy has to be taken from ulcer to rule out the exact cause.
  • This inflammatory bowel disease is leading to high ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), and high leukocyte count in your case.
  • Specific treatment should be given as per the cause. Also, investigate with a stool culture. Take treatment only after consulting a gastroenterologist.

Hope this will help you. Take care.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

The medicines were prescribed by a gastroenterologist only. What does one investigate with stool culture? Could you kindly elaborate the sentence 'biopsy should be taken from the ulcer to rule out the exact cause'? Thanks again.

Hematology Pathology
#

It is good that you have consulted a gastroenterologist for your condition.

• The drug Mesacol is used in ulcerative colitis. Ulcerative colitis is idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease, and biopsy is beneficial for that. There are many causes for ulcerative colon lesion. I suggest you undergo biopsy, were only 0.5 to 1 cm tissue is removed during colonoscopy. This tissue is sent for histopathology examination.
  • So, by histopathological examination, any inflammation, infection, ulcerative colitis, or malignancy, can be ruled out. Here, the chances of malignancy are very nil, so do not worry.
  • By stool culture, the specific organism can be identified causing diarrhea, and accordingly medication for that can be suggested as per the culture report.

Take care. Hope your concern is solved. You can discuss all this with your gastroenterologist, and then let your gastroenterologist decide whether a biopsy is needed or not.

For further queries consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do bi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation and concern. You have to undergo colposcopy and if necessary biopsy too. It can be done during pregnancy and the only problem may happen is mild bleeding, which can be managed. If the lesion is mild, then it can be followed up. Moderate to ...  Read Full

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An acute hemorrhage is for a short duration but very dangerous. The reason being a sudden build up of pressure in the brain. In case of chronic bleeding it is not so dangerous but it will remain for a long period. In this case there is a gradual increase of pressure in ...  Read Full

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I carefully went through your question and the patient's medical history. I reviewed her medical report and the uploaded brain MRI study (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that those changes are indicative of small vessel disease, whic...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now