Q. What can be done to cure ulcerative colitis with bleeding before every stool and anemia?

I have ulcerative colitis for more than two months. I pass more than seven stools a day (loose stools). Constant bleeding before every stool from the rectum. Fever, rapid heartbeat, and anemia. And have a fungal infection, taking medicine too.

Do you have a question on Ulcerative Colitis or Steroids?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D
Hematology Pathology

For ulcerative colitis, an anti-inflammatory drug like Sulfasalazine group of drugs can be started. (In a severe case, Steroid can be prescribed for a short duration). Immunosuppressive drugs prescribed if needed. Anti-diarrheal medication also can be prescribed to decrease diarrhea frequency. Your anemia is because of constant bleeding in the stool.

For that, Iron medication like Ferrous Ascorbate can be started. All these medications are taken regularly and even if still no improvement then surgical management can be done. Consult gastroenterologist for examination and accordingly get prescription. Take care.

I have lost 13 kg due to ulcerative colitis. Please suggest an ayurvedic cure.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year old male. I have ulcerative colitis since last year. I have lost 13 kg in the last 18 months. I was previously 73 kg. I now weigh 60 kg. I have frequent motions, even up to six times a day. But, the consistency of the stools is alright. I also have stomach pain sometime...  Read Full »
Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease and a very notorious disease. Its progress depends on your diet pattern and life style. You are taking good medicines but, I would suggest some changes. You should stop the allopathic medicine gradually. Take the foll...  Read Full »

What is microcytic normochromic anemia?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Microcytic RBC (red blood cell) means that the size of the RBC is decreased. Usually, it is seen in iron deficiency anemia. But, your hemoglobin level is within the range. So, anemia is ruled out. Excess stress, anxiety, being overworked, lack of exercise, lack of slee...  Read Full »

Nutritional Management of Children with Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
Article Overview: It becomes very challenging to deal with the nutritional needs of children suffering from Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis as the children suffering from these kinds of inflammatory bowel disease experience chronic pain in their abdomen. These children experience chronic inflammation and therefore should not be given very spicy foods as it may trigger the inflammation further.  Read Article »
Dr. Krystel Quadros
Paediatrician

Following is the nutritional management of children with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Avoid Food Sensitivities Many times, it is observed that the children suffering from inflammatory bowel diseases develop intolerances towards certain foods. Maintaining a proper food diary helps ...  Read Article »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now