Q. I vomited forcefully and felt a strong burn after that. Why?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Yesterday I ate some pizza and drank tea at around 9 pm at a party. I had a feel like there was something stuck at my upper stomach and had a little pain. I was ignoring it, but then I got worried it might be something bad. So I forced myself to vomit, and I kept vomiting for half an hour. I am not sure, but maybe there was a bit of blood. I felt a strong burn after that, and it got worse. I felt a sharp pain on the right chest every time I swallow. I am worried.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

1) Your symptom is suggestive of a small linear esophageal tear due to forceful vomiting.

2) In this condition, linear tear develops on the inner wall of the lowermost part of the esophagus. This is responsible for a small amount of blood in vomit and pain in the chest.

3) You should take semi-solid foods for a few days to promote healing of this tear. Otherwise, no specific treatment is required.

4) If pain is severe, then you can try antacid syrup to smoothen the lower part of the esophagus, which gives relief from pain and also promotes healing.

5) Also, remember, never induce forceful vomiting.

| 

Black or Tarry Stools - Causes, Diagnosis, Prevention and Treatment

Article Overview: Black or tarry stools can be due to change in diet, or it can be a sign of some underlying medical condition. Read about all the possible causes and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Black or tarry stool is not always something to panic about. Many common causes like food, iron supplements, and other medicines can make your stool appear black. When food is not digested properly in the stomach because of some surgery or you eat licorice and beet, your stool will appear black or r...  Read Article

What causes Nausea, Vomiting, Loose Motion, Fever?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a vomit, loose motion, fever, and body ache. I want to know what kind of fever I have. What are the medicines I can use? And what are the health tips I can follow?  Read Full »

What could be the reason for constant feeling of nausea and abdominal pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old female. My height is 5'1", and weight is 120 lbs. I have been getting a constant feel of nausea for over a year along with abdomen, chest and back pain. The chest pain is sharp in the place of the heart. The back pain is right down the middle of my back, starting at my ...  Read Full »