Published on Dec 20, 2017 and last reviewed on Sep 19, 2019 - 2 min read
Why is this taking so long? This article talks about how long is too long when TTC (trying to conceive), initial management of infertility, and when to see a specialist.
In our fast-paced life, everything has a time slot to happen and we do get impatient easily. Most couples start trying for a baby in their 30s and with both the partners working, to fit in a child when you are still building a career is difficult and does require a lot of planning. So, when you have planned everything from your work and finances to child support, but the strip repeatedly refuses to show two bold lines, it can quickly cause frustrations and desperation. This can even strain the relationship badly. Am I suffering from infertility? Do I have some major issues? What are we really doing wrong?
All these thoughts are really scary. But, you need to know that even in couples visiting an infertility clinic, only 10 % require advanced treatments. For the other 90 %, some basic treatments do the trick.
One of the most important factors is the age of the lady. For women 35 years and under, I will say, you should have tried actively for at least a period of eight to 12 months before consulting a doctor. And trying means a coital frequency of two to three times a week or at least two to three times during the fertile period (day 10 to day 17 in women having regular cycles). For women over 35, consult a specialist sooner, maybe after trying for a maximum of six months. The doctor needs to be an infertility specialist, not a general gynecologist.
If you have irregular cycles, endometriosis, or there was a surgery of reproductive organs in either of the partners, you might need to see the specialist early rather than late.
The other factor that would determine your chances of getting pregnant faster is your general health condition. People with medical conditions such as diabetes, celiac disease or some autoimmune diseases should see a specialist sooner.
Irrespective of your age and health condition, it is a good idea to get a pre-pregnancy checkup done by your GP to ensure a healthy pregnancy.
In very few couples, there is a continued struggle as there is a combination of factors involved or sometimes there is no obvious cause.
If time is on your side, then doctors recommend a more relaxed approached to trying to conceive, as the stress and planning involved can exhaust you and work against you. But, in general, these are some tips to follow:
1. Ensure both you and your partner are in prime health. Take the recommended tests if they were not already done within the last three months.
2. Exercise regularly and eat healthy antioxidant-rich foods. Most of the time lifestyle changes are all that is necessary.
3. Having frequent unprotected sex is the basic prerequisite. Try to maintain a frequency of having sex every two to three days.
5. You may also use an ovulation kit to know exactly when you are ovulating rather than depend solely on your bodily changes. You can then have timed intercourse which increases your chances substantially.
6. If you get too anxious about the wait, try to focus your time and attention on more relaxing tasks. Diverting your mind can help take the stress off the wait.
The world of fertility does look daunting, but simple tricks like a balanced diet, reduced stress and taking those short breaks in between go a long way in ensuring a road towards a happy family life.
For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist
Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat... Read Full »
Article Overview: Infertility is when a couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationships without protection. If the patient is more than 35 years old, then infertility treatment is started earlier. Read the article to know more. Read Article
Infertility is a condition where the couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationship without birth control. In some cases we do not wait for this 12 month period to start investigating eg if the patient’s age is 35 or more, patient has irregular menstrual cycles, P... Read Article
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45 year old male, and my wife is 26 years. We have been trying to have a baby for the past seven years. I had a sperm analysis in 2011. My count was 68 m, all the parameters were good except the presence of Proteus spp. bacteria. The doctor injected me with gentamycin once, and... Read Full »
Do you have a question on Pregnancy or Infertility?Ask a Doctor Online