Q. Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative. Please suggest.

Dr. Natalie Chaitan
This is a premium question & answer published on May 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 09, 2019

I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negative. But I am still worried. I do not experience any signs of pregnancy except my breast is aching, abdominal pain, and missed period. I am worried.

#

An initially positive pregnancy test that later becomes negative can happen with very early miscarriages. Such miscarriages can occur with little or no initial blood loss. These are termed chemical pregnancies, as they are lost before they attach to the womb and before they grow big enough to see on ultrasound. Only the pregnancy hormone is detected.

The fact that you have still not had your menses needs to be investigated. Although it may be normal to have a delayed return of ovulation and menses after a miscarriage. The same pregnancy hormone detected in the urine pregnancy test can be done by a blood test for greater accuracy.

An ultrasound may also be beneficial to identify any other cause for your missed period and your abdominal pain. Did you have a history of irregular periods before this episode?

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|