Helped 5000 patients
Dr.Gokul Vignesh Kandaswamy is a Urologist with 10 years of clinical experience. His initial Medical, Surgical, and Urology training were in India, where he completed a formal Urology training program after going through National Level Competitive Exams. He was working as a Junior Consultant before moving to the UK. He came to Wales in 2015 for an Uro-Oncology fellowship in Cardiff and was privileged to be trained under some of the very well-known and most respected Urologists both in India and UK. He is now a Consultant Urological Surgeon in Swansea Bay University Health Board since 2016, Swansea, and provides Pelvic Uro-oncology and general Urology services. He specializes in prostate and bladder cancers and performs Cystectomies and both open and Robotic Prostatectomies and reconstructive procedures. He is one of the new generations of surgeons who have gone through the formal fellowship and mentoring process. He also works closely with other pelvic cancer specialist surgeons like Colo-rectal, Plastic surgery, and Gynecologists for complex pelvic clearance surgeries for different cancers. He offers a good comprehensive core urology service as well, including surgeries for bladder outflow obstruction (prostate resection or Urolift or Bladder neck Incision or Urethrotomies), bladder tumor resection, stone surgeries including Ureteroscopies and laser, diagnostic procedures including cystoscopy and prostate biopsy including cognitive fusion, penoscrotal surgeries like circumcision, hydrocele surgery, testicular implants, urinary tract infections, etc. He teaches and trains at Swansea University medical students, core surgical and Urology specialist trainees, not only regionally but also as a faculty at the national level. He teaches surgical skills, including simulation training for junior trainees, and train senior trainees to succeed in FRCS exit exams. He is a 'Tutor' at Edinburgh University - a novel concept in today's world. He continues to be involved in research studies, International clinical trials, Presents and Publishes regularly.
Academics & Trainings
FRCS ED (UROL)
Royal College Of Surgeons Of Edinburgh
National Board Of Examinations
MASTER OF GENERAL SURGERY
Tamilnadu Dr.m.g.r Medical University
Awards & Publications
Grant winner – Cancer Innovation Challenge 2019 – development of research in Wales.
Second Prize – Vijayawada Best poster Prize – USICON 2016.
Dr.Gokul was selected by USI (Urological Society of India), for a traveling fellowship to EUREP European resident education program, in 2009 held in Prague, Czech Republic - 2009.
Winner of Dr. N. Sethuraman best paper award - SZUSICON – 2009.
Runner-up of Dr. N. Sethuraman best paper award - SZUSICON – 2008.
1. M. Kailavasan, C Berridge, G Kandaswamy et al. “A low cost synthetic abdominal wall model (“Raj model”) for the training of Laparoscopic port insertion. World J Surg. DOI: 10.1007/s00268-019-05354-8.
2. KandaSwamy GV, Rai BP, Narahari K, Kynaston H. Rationalising Bone Scan usage in prostate cancer staging – An UK nationwide audit of BAUS Radical Prostatectomy (RP) database. DOI:10.1177/2051415819873263.
3. M Moghul, B Somani, T Lane, N Vasdev, C Peedell, G KandaSwamy, B Rai. Detection Rates with 68Gallium (Ga)-Labelled Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen (PSMA) Scan significantly better than Choline PET Scans in men with recurrent prostate Cancer-A Systematic Review. Ther Adv Urol. 2019 Jan-Dec; 11: 1756287218815793.
4. KandaSwamy GV, Randhawa KS, Dhanasekaran AK. Migrated Macroplastique in bladder wall – ‘Mickey Mouse’ sign in MRI. J Clin Urol. 2017 vol. 10.
5. pp. 487-488. 5. KandaSwamy GV, Bennett A, Narahari K, Hughes O, Rees J, Kynaston H. Establishing the pathways and indications for performing isotope bone scans in newly diagnosed intermediate-risk localised prostate cancer – results from a large contemporaneous cohort. BJU Int. 2017 Nov 120;5B:E59-63. doi:10.1111/bju.13850.
6. KandaSwamy GV, Viswaroop B, Elangovan A, Arul M, Kandasami SV, Gopalakrishnan G. An unusual double fungal infection of Bladder due to candida & Cladosporium. African Journal of Urology. 2015 Sept 21; 198-200.
7. KandaSwamy GV, Dhanasekaran AK, Elangovan A, John B, Viswaroop B, Vedanayagam KS. Randomized Double Blinded Placebo Controlled Trial Comparing Diclofenac and Piroxicam in Management of Acute Renal Colic and Its Clinical Implications. Urol J. 2015 Apr 29;12(2):2069-2073.
8. John B, Vignesh G, Ananthakumar D, Viswaroop SB, Kandasami SV. Two cases of Urinoma following forced hydration in Ureteric colic. J Indian Med Assoc. 2008 Jul;106(7):462.
9. Singal AK, Vignesh KG, Paul S, Matthai J. Antenatally diagnosed ovarian cyst with torsion managed laparoscopically. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg 2008; 13:28-9.
10. Singal AK, Vignesh KG, Matthai J. Acute Gastric Volvulus Secondary to Eventration of the Diaphragm in A Child. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg 2006 Jan-Mar 11: 44-46.
11. Kandaswamy GV, Kumar ST, Jeyasingh R. Acute abdomen due to eosinophilic colitis with liver abscess.Indian J Gastroenterol 2006;25:208-9.
1. G Kanda Swamy, B James, B Rai, M Jefferies, P Bose. Prevalence of risk factors in patients presenting for hematuria evaluation - A prospective patient reported data analysis & outcomes. J Endourol. 2019 Oct; 33(S1): A34-35.
2. G Kanda Swamy, B Rai, R David, N Gill, P Bose. Upper tract Ultrasound scan is an adequate screening modality for patients presenting with Visible Hematuria - retrospective cohort study of a prospective database. J Endourol. 2019 Oct; 33(S1): A42.
3. G Kanda Swamy, R David, B Rai, B James, K Thomas. P Bose. Fate of normal hematuria investigations patients in the immediate to long term - outcomes and clinical implications. J Endourol. 2019 Oct; 33(S1): A228.
4. KandaSwamy GV, James B, David R, Bose P. Could Hematuria Be Considered as a Marker for Non Urological Malignancies? World Journal of Urology. 2018 Oct; 36(S1): 209.
5. Kailavasan M, Berridge C, Kandaswamy G, Rai B, Wilkinson B, Gowda B. Validity of a synthetic abdominal wall model for training of laparoscopic port insertion. European Urology Supplements 2019;18(2):e2417.
6. RA David, B James, P Bose, GV KandaSwamy. Is Computerized Tomography Urography superior to Ultrasound for upper urinary tract evaluation in a one-stop Haematuria clinic setting? J Endourol. 2018 Sept; 32(S2): A466.
7. GV KandaSwamy, K Narahari, H Kynaston. Rationalising Bone Scan usage in prostate cancer staging – A nationwide audit of BAUS Radical Prostatectomy (RP) database. J Endourol. 2018 Sept; 32(S2): A287.
8. Gokul Vignesh Kandaswamy, Adam Bennett, John Rees, Krishna Narahari, Owen Hughes, Howard Kynaston. Could MRI replace bone scanning in newly diagnosed prostate cancer patients with suspected metastases? Indian J Urol. 2016 Jan; 32(S1): S48.
9. Gokul Vignesh Kandaswamy, Asad Abedin, Kuo Jong Ho, Aniruddha Chakravarti. Increasing the number and pattern of cores in standard TRUS biopsy yields comparable results as compared to MRI-TRUS fusion biopsy. Indian J Urol. 2016 Jan; 32(S1): S48-49.
10. G V Kanda Swamy, A Bennett, K Narahari, O Hughes, J Rees, H Kynaston. Staging bone scans in clinically localized intermediate-risk prostate cancer – a comparison of outcomes from a large UK cohort compared with standard international guidelines. J Endourol. 2015 Oct;29(S1): P1-A73.
11. GV Kanda Swamy, A Shripat, H Ibrahim, S Phillips, M Nair, BD Sarmah, RS Jaganathan, S Morris. Gentamicin resistance mirrors increased Ciprofloxacin resistance but multidrug resistance does not necessarily translate as increased infection and sepsis rates after TRUS biopsy. J Endourol. 2015 Oct;29(S1): P1-A118-A119.
12. GV Kanda Swamy, A Elangovan, B Viswaroop, A Dhanasekaran, A Myilswamy, B John, G Gopalakrishnan, K Sangam Vedanayagam. Height:Width Ratio – a novel parameter in predicting outcome after Transurethral resection of prostate – a pilot study. J Endourol. 2015 Oct;29(S1): P1-A182.
13. GV Kanda Swamy, R Hughes, O Hughes, K Narahari, H Kynaston. Prolonged console time during robotic prostatectomy increases estimated blood loss in the initial experience with daVinci Xi machine. J Endourol. 2015 Oct;29(S1): P1- A186.
"Thank you for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated. Scott"
--Someone from New Philadelphia, United States, 1 year ago
"Very happy with the response"
--Someone from New Philadelphia, United States, 1 year ago