Q. Do I need to take Duoluton-L pills after abortion?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

I was prescribed to have Duoluton-L pills for 21 days to be taken after 5 days of my D and C. She also advised me that I will get my normal periods after 21 days. Do I need to take all the pills? Or can I stop after taking around 16 or 17 pills?

#

Actually after any abortion, the patient might experience some spotting for a few weeks as well as irregular cycle.

This pill will help you to subside this flow and will try to re-establish your regular cycle pattern.

Moreover, there is an incidence of ovulation as well as pregnancy just within two to three weeks of abortion and achieving a pregnancy so soon is not recommended also. This pill will help you to maintain contraception.

I suggest you to not only complete this course, but also restart a fresh pack after a gap of 7 days and to continue as for the next four months. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have also read about the medicine and its detailed working. I would try to continue it for next three to four months as advised. I heard it tries to regularize the period cycle to 28 days (5 days + 21 pill days + 2 days for period to start). But, my period cycle is 21 days. So, should I take 15 pills every time in order to match my 21 days cycle?

#

• Never try to regulate the pill intake as per your cycle. Just follow the rule of 21 days on and 7 days off.
  • Start the next pack, after a gap of 7 days (not from the first or fifth day of the next cycle as commonly told) irrespective of the day of your period or cycle.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|