Q. Would fractional laser help in removing acne scars?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

I have mild to moderate acne. My dermatologist prescribed Isotretinoin 20 mg on alternate days, but I am experiencing hair fall. Also, he prescribed an antibiotic Septra. I took the tablets for only two days. I am reluctant to take these drugs due to its side effect. Please suggest an alternate to control acne. Will Doxycycline help? I am not having ice pick scars rather have some depressed scars and the severity of depression is not much. My doctor suggested me fractional laser along with a series of peels. Would fractional laser help removing acne marks?

#

• Do not take Septra for acne (combination of Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim).
  • Isotretinoin is not safe if you are planning a pregnancy. Otherwise, there is no risk.
  • There are alternatives available like Minocycline and Doxycycline. I suggest a capsule Doxy 100 mg twice daily and antacid along with it.
  • Minocycline, if planning to take for acne, then should be taken at night (capsule Minonil ER 45) as it leads to photosensitivity.
  • You should take one capsule and see if there is any change in pigmentation on face like darkening. If not, then continue.
  • In your case, fractional laser as advised would better since you have box and roller scar and peels for pigmentation.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|