Acute Retroviral Syndrome

Are rash and lymph node swelling after oral sex signs of ARS?

Query: Hi doctor,I gave oral sex to a man, whose HIV status was unknown, six weeks ago. I have now rash under both armpits and a swollen lymph node in my neck. I am attaching pictures of the rash and the lymph node. Could this be ARS?  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Oral sex has the least possibility of ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). I do not think you have ARS. Do you have dandruff or an earache or a toothache? Do you have a history of a cold or a...  Read Full »

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-l...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms and HIV tests related to ARS?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a male, 26 years old. My HIV tests were negative and I have attached them. There is a mild rash on face and upper arms (non-itchy red spots), little fatigue (all from three weeks and still there even after eight weeks). Are all the above tests conclusive? Further testing required? ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You go for the required test every time. All times all the test are negative. No more tests are available. When all the above-mentioned tests are negative, there is no meaning of the p24 test. Sometimes the virus remains in a dormant stage, but if you take good diet ...  Read Full »

How accurate is my HIV 1/2 antigen and antibody test?

Query: Hello doctor, Actually, I had casual sex with a CSW a month back. I did my HIV 1/2 antigen and antibody test 15 days back, almost after 26 days. I got symptoms of swollen glands under jaw and stiff neck, as well as, joint and muscle ache. Today I got small ulcers in my tongue. Can you please tell m...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sensitivity is up to 92 percent in your case. You need to repeat testing after 12 weeks. For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full »

I cheated on my wife and am really worried about HIV. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I cheated on my wife and I am really scared that I may have HIV. When I say scared, I mean night terrors, huge anxiety, and no appetite (lost 15 pounds in three weeks). I cannot work and it is all I think about. The circumstances are as follows. I performe...  Read Full »

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are worried but it is not the end of the world. You actually have a very low risk of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) transmission from this exposure. Though the test is sensitive, you should get a fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunoso...  Read Full »

My WBC count increased after an exposure. Is it an indication of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I had an exposure with an unknown girl 43 days ago and the condom tore when my penis was still inside her vagina. The next morning, I saw a red mark on the tip of my penis. It disappeared in three days. I do not know the HIV status of the girl. I had done HIV 1...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern. At one month, this test is 95 % sensitive. So, it is fairly accurate at this stage. However, since a condom break amounts to unprotected sex (high-risk exposure), ideally you should follow it up by a retest at 12 weeks for an HIV antibody whi...  Read Full »