Q. The skin around my eyes is itchy and red. Is it an allergic reaction?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 21, 2021

I appeared to have an allergic reaction to something, nearly two weeks ago. I was given antihistamines and a seven-day course of steroids (Prednisolone 40 mg). The allergy seems to subside, but it keeps coming back. I cannot be sure about the cause of this allergy. The surrounding skin around my eyes is itchy and red, from today morning. I have attached a photo of the initial flare-up. Please help.

#

I have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is called as acute urticaria with angioedema. It is basically an allergic reaction, which can be due to change in diet or new medications or idiopathic (sometimes the cause cannot be known).

Since there is swelling on the lips and eyes, you should visit an emergency room. You will need another course of oral steroid or injectable dose. Continue with the oral antihistamines.

And oral steroid should be tapered from 40 mg to lower doses and then stopped. If stopped suddenly at 40 mg, then there can be chances of recurrence. Self-medication is not advised in this condition.

Look out for symptoms like difficulty in swallowing or breathing. If they develop, visit a doctor as soon as possible. Do not wait. I suggest you get the following tests done:

1. CBC (complete blood count) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).
  2. Serum IgE (immunoglobulin E) levels.
  3. Urine routine microscopy.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

|