Antihistamines are drugs used to treat allergic symptoms like sneezing, itchy eyes, watery eyes, hives, runny nose, and blocked nose. Some antihistamines are also used for motion sickness, vomiting, dizziness, anxiety, Parkinson's disease, and sleep problems. Fexofenadine, Hydroxyzine, Diphenhydramine, Chlorpheniramine, Loratadine, and Levocetirizine are a few examples of antihistamines.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

My hair is falling out in clumps due to severe stress. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 37 year old female. I have been experiencing hair fall in clumps since the last two weeks, so much so that, I have lost half of my hair. The last one month, I have been under stress because of my father's death. I have consulted a dermatologist and have got some tests done as su...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to For urticaria, you should take only antihistamine. Steroids are advised if there is no relief with an antihistamine for even eight weeks. Secondly, a major cause for Telogen effluvium hair loss can be low hemoglobin levels. You are on the right medicati...  Read Full »

I have many small itchy red bumps all around my body in different shapes. How do I treat them?

Query: Hi doctor, I have many itchy small bumps (now red) around my body in different shapes. I was told maybe it was an allergic reaction to some food I had. So I am taking antihistamines (one daily). Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Dhepe Snehal Laul

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. It is an allergic rash (hypersensitivity to mite antigen). I suggest, Apply Mometasone lotion at night for ten days. Apply Dermocalm lotion (Calamine and light liquid paraffin) immediately after bath for ten days. Tablet Teczine-M...  Read Full »

Why is antifungal medicine not working for my skin problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a skin condition for about four years in groin area as you can see in the attached pictures. There is a dark brown area with sharp borders on upper inner thighs where scrotum touches thighs. There is no itch, pain or burning sensation and it is not raised and also v...  Read Full »

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through the pictures (attachments removed to protect patient identity). It does look like fungal infection with some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. We need to address the infection first and then proceed to pigmentation. Please tell what antifungals...  Read Full »

Why do I have nasal congestion, mucus discharge from the nose and a post-nasal drip?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a complaint of nasal congestion. There is mucus discharge from the nose, or mucus drips down into the throat. I have had excessive mucus production since I was a child. I had a slight deviation of my nasal septum that was corrected through surgery. However, I still have these i...  Read Full »

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern and would be happy to help. A long-standing nasal discharge associated with a post nasal drip points towards either a nose allergy or chronic rhinosinusitis. A CT (computed tomography) scan of paranasal sinuses will help rule out chronic rh...  Read Full »

I have developed a hair dye allergy. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old male. I have been using hair dye since last 25 years. Two years back, I had hair dye reaction on the scalp. Yesterday morning, I had dye reaction again. The entire skin of scalp came out like snake's skin. After that rashes have come on the knee, elbow, and on the f...  Read Full »

Dr. Charu Bansal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to As per the details given, it seems that you have hair dye allergy. Most of the hair dye products contain a chemical called PPD (para-phenylenediamine) which is responsible for allergic reactions. In such cases, I advise my patients to strictly avoid application of ha...  Read Full »

I have bumps on my scrotum and, they have not subsided even after treatment. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have bumps on my scrotum, and they cause itching. They also cause discomfort, and I cannot sleep because of them. I have also consulted a doctor, and he has given me Metaz cream, tablet Cetjust and tablet Candycef LB 200 mg. He told me that in these 20 days, this would subside. I ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. In my opinion, you got scabies, a condition caused by a mite (Sarcoptes scabiei). And it cannot be seen by naked eyes, but only under the microscope. The symptoms include intense itching, which worsens at night, a...  Read Full »

How fast do antibiotics relieve asthmatic cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 11 years old. He weighs 22 kg. He has asthmatic type of cough problem. The paediatrician usually gives him an antibiotic for 10 to 12 days and still if the cough persists he will extend the antibiotic for another two to three days. When the cough remains an issue, he gives Azith...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Antibiotics would help only in case of infection. Antibiotics have role in initial acute exacerbation else not. If he has fever, then we need to give antibiotics. Bronchial asthma requires treatment with antihistaminic drugs and bronchodilator. By giving...  Read Full »

Why is the skin around my eyes itching?

Query: Hi doctor, I appeared to have an allergic reaction to something, nearly two weeks ago. I was given antihistamines and a seven-day course of steroids (Prednisolone 40 mg). The allergy seems to subside, but it keeps coming back. I cannot be sure about the cause of this allergy. The surrounding skin ar...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is called as acute urticaria with angioedema. It is basically an allergic reaction, which can be due to change in diet or new medications or idiopathic (sometimes the cause cannot be ...  Read Full »

What is the preventive treatment for frequent throat infections?

Query: Hello doctor,As part of the season change, I have developed a little rash in my throat. I have to often clear my throat congestion. Nothing else. Please prescribe a medicine for the cure and also some preventive medicine for the next one week so that I will not catch a cold or fever as I have an eve...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You can try the following. You need to do salt water gargling. Rinse your mouth twice daily with an antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine, particularly before going to bed. Take lukewarm water. You may have soups too. With regard to prevention of infection, ea...  Read Full »

What medicines can treat an intermittent cough and cold in a kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year and 8-month-old daughter is having a cold and cough for the last two weeks. Earlier I gave her Maxtra and Levolin for five days. She had a cough for two to three days and it got settled. But, the cold was still there. So, I gave her Xyzal for three days with improvement in th...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Frequent cough and cold are common in children in this age group unless it is associated with a high-grade fever. Do not panic. I suggest you give her some Mucolitic (Carbocisteine) syrup and an antiallergic or an antihistaminic syrup. Consult your specialist doctor...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.