Acyclovir is an antiviral medication used to treat the outbreaks of cold sores, shingles, and chickenpox. It does not cure these diseases but just decreases the severity and length of such lesions.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What could be the cause of penis blisters?

Query: Hello doctor,I have blisters on the head of my penis due to masturbation without proper lubricant. I thought that it would heal by itself in a few days but now the blister popped and the skin is very tender and hurts to the touch. Also, another blister of sort, developed on the tip. It cannot be an ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There are a few conditions which cause painful blisters even without a sexual contact, like genital herpes, primary syphilis, impetigo among others. Please provide more details: Are these blisters painful or painless? Is there a discharge that you noticed? Is there a ...  Read Full »

What causes burning in the perineum during urination?

Query: 21 F My perineum is burning when I pee. Doesn’t hurt to pee just stings/burns my perineum and the skin around it. My anus is also sore. It doesn’t hurt when I poop, but when I wipe, it feels like sand paper. I wince in pain, then just hop in the shower and clean myself that way. I’ve been wit...  Read Full »

Dr. Balamurugan

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to ICLINIQ, I understand your concern, I gather from your history that the perineal symptoms along with swollen lymph nodes increases the possibility of Genital Herpes. Many people have herpes viruses in their body, and anyone who is sexually active can become infected. ...  Read Full »

Will lesions on lips recur often?

Query: Hello doctor, I have lesions on lips reduced for a few days and now it started to come again. I have a burning and itching sensation. I took tablet Acyclovir 400 mg, Levocet 5 mg, and Acyclovir cream IP 5% for 10 days.   Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Apply Sodium fusidate cream twice daily on it for seven days, tablet Pregaba M tablet two times daily for seven days. I need to ask a few questions also. Did you take Acyclovir three times dai...  Read Full »

What to do for cluster of blisters present in the corners of the mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you tell me if a cluster of blisters that went from deflated in the center to smaller clusters, to ulcers healing in three days sounds more like a cold sore or impetigo? It appeared next to a picked pimple by where I have had cold sores before, but this was a cluster of tiny blist...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your history and photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have developed herpes labialis also known as cold sore. Herpes labialis is a kind of viral infection with HSV (herpes simplex virus) virus. It is not a bacterial infection ...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take Acyclovir for previous HSV 1 infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35-year-old male. No episodes of herps except chickenpox in childhood. No Infection of HIV, clinically tested every six months for the last seven years. My partner and I both are not having HIV (clinically tested). I had a bacterial or fungal infection with pus and redness in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to First understand the situation, IgM indicates recent infection and IgG indicate chronic infection. Since you have both the IgM negative, it means that there is no recent infection. Secondly, about 70- 80% of US population is HSV-1 (herpes simplex virus) positive, it me...  Read Full »

Are skin infections in face, and neck common in cardiac patients?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 57 years old. She is having skin infection around his face, neck, and ear area and she is a cardiac patient. For the past two days she is taking Surfaz-SN ointment (Clotrimazole, Beclomethasone Dipropionate, and Neomycin sulfate cream), Zenflox- OZ (Ofloxacin and Ornida...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhishek Ponathil

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your mother has herpes zoster. It is caused by varicella zoster virus which causes chickenpox earlier in life and gets reactivated later in life to cause herpes zoster. She has to take tablet Valacyclovir 1 gm thrice a day for seven days. For the pain, tablet Diclof...  Read Full »

Why do I get recurrent pus-filled blisters on arms?

Query: Hello doctor, I seem to get lesions or blisters maybe on my arms. They are usually round with one pus-filled bump and at times it could be many small ones. They rarely itch, burn or anything. They crust over and peel and leave dark acne-like marks on my arms it is so annoying because I am embarrass...  Read Full »

Dr. Subhash Kashyap


Answer: Hi, Welcome to I saw the photo you sent. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you say there is pus formation and you are getting it recurrently almost every month. I like to know a few things before finalizing my diagnosis and treatment. Is there any pain? If pus di...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a treatment plan for keratitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from stromal viral keratitis. My doctor mentioned in my report as stromal keratitis (herpes?). Is that herpes? Also I was prescribed Pred forte, Add Tears and Acivir ointment. Are these right medicines? This is the second episode after five years. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Let me share some facts about viral infection of eye. Primary viral infection of the eye is usually followed by recurrent infection that may involve any or all layers of cornea. Cornea has three layers: Epithelium, stroma and endothelium. It is when the stroma affec...  Read Full »

I have STD for a long term with cluster of bumps appearing occasionally. Please suggest treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I have had an STD for 30 years but it occurs only on the surfaces for every four or five years and only under much stress. I was able to photograph it this time but still cannot see a doctor for a couple of days. I am afraid it will vanish again before I see a doctor. The bumps are in...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have seen the photo. (attachment removed to protct patient identity). It is herpes genitalis. Is it associated with itching or burning sensation? Does your partner suffer from a similar problem? How many episodes per year? If you have recurrent episodes you should c...  Read Full »

What is Zovirax used for?

Query: Hello doctor, Two years back, I had fever and headache. From then I am having gait and muscle pains. After many tests, doctor suggested EBV test. Results are IgG positive and IgM came negative and then gave Zovirax 800. I am shocked as it is a tablet for HIV. Does my EBV report say that I have HIV...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Zovirax (Acyclovir) is actually a medicine for viral infection and your physician is on right lines. Do not worry about that. Not many benefits are seen with Zovirax in infectious mononucleosis (IM) caused by Epstein-Barr virus- EBV, but this is good if indicated. Yes,...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.