Q. When does one get small red blisters on genitalia?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 25, 2019

I have very small red blisters on the glans and corona with lot of itching. For that I have used Acivir ointment. There is temporary relief but it reoccurs. Please help.

#

Small red blisters on the genitalia usually occur in herpes virus infection. But they are associated with pain and burning. You are complaining of itching which is unlikely for herpes infection.

I would recommend you to upload the photographs of the blisters, so that I can have a clear picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.

What is the duration of the blisters? Are you sexually active? If yes, any similar history in your sexual partner? Do you have diabetes or any other ailment? Are you taking any medicine for some other ailment?

I am 35 years old and sexually active. My partner had a similar problem a year back, but it was cured after medication. I am taking medication for high BP (Cilacar 10 mg). I am not diabetic. Duration of blisters is for one to two days and they fade away with the application of ointment. But, when I stop applying the ointment they reoccur again.

#

According to your history you have probably developed herpes genitalis. Herpes genitalis is a sexually transmitted disease caused by herpes virus. You have contracted this from your partner as she has had the infection a year back.

Once a person infected, the virus remains in a latent form in the person infected and can be transmitted to the sexual partner through asymptomatic shedding.

It cannot get treated with application of topical Acyclovir. You need to take oral antiviral. Start with tablet Acyclovir 400 mg thrice daily for 1 week along with topical antibiotic like Mupirocin (Bactroban cream) on the blisters twice daily till they resolve.

For itching, take antihistamine tablet Levocetirizine 5 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching. Avoid intercourse till the lesions heal. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Herpes simplex virus 1 or 2.

1. VDRL test (venereal disease research laboratory test).
2. HIV 1 and 2 tests.

Candidal balanitis (inflammation of the rounded head of penis).

Herpes genitalis.

|