Q. I am taking Concerta XL for ADHD, but it is not working inspite of increasing the dosage. Why?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Nov 19, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I have been taking Concerta XL for ADHD for 10 days now. I have started taking 18 mg per day and after seven days I increased it to 36 mg. However, I do not feel the effects anymore, initially, when I was taking 18 mg it was working, but it no longer works. Can you develop a tolerance to Concerta XL? Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Concerta XL needs to be gradually titrated up according to your age, body weight and clinical response, i.e improvement in symptoms and any side effects. I note that it is still early days since you commenced on Concerta. XL. You will not be developing tolerance in this timeframe. For your weight (92 kg), perhaps you may need a higher dose provided there are no contraindications. Discuss with your psychiatrist or treating team about titrating up to 45 mg a day or 54 mg a day. You will need to be regularly followed up, during the initial period of starting stimulants.

Also, try to follow cognitive behavioral techniques alongside medication for optimal management of ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder) symptoms.

Who is the best person for diagnosing and treating ADHD in a 12-year-old child?

Query: Hello doctor,I want your opinion on who is the best person (or where to start) for diagnosing and treating ADD in a 12-year-old child. The information and opinions are mind-numbing and confusing. I have the choice of taking my daughter to a pediatrician or a psychiatrist, after having her tested by ...  Read Full »

How to treat my ADHD?

Query: Hi doctor, I have ADHD. My common symptoms are disturbance of selective attention of auditory and visual input, disorders of visual perception, impaired organization and categorization of verbal material, disturbance of language comprehension, impaired long-term memory, altered personality and affec...  Read Full »

Mediterranean Diet and ADHD Prevention

Article Overview: For the first time, a team of researchers was able to demonstrate a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Read Article

Dr. Laurent Hiffler
Nutritionist

This article is a review of a study that showed how Mediterranean type of diet can influence ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). A research team published a very interesting study demonstrating for the first time, a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Children who ...  Read Article