Q. My 6-year-old has ADHD and the EEG report is abnormal. Is Valprol syrup safe for him?

Dr. Gerry Mike
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

My nephew is 6-year-old, and weight is 20 kg, had been detected with ADHD from three years. We had started his medication and behavior therapy around 40 days back under the consultation of pediatrics and psychologist. After 10 days, we consulted a neuro-psychiatrist who recommended us EEG brain (sleep). The report of EEG was abnormal, whereby non-epileptic discharges were captured. The doctor prescribed liquid Valprol in some dosage.

Since the finding was abnormal, we thought of getting a second opinion from a neurologist with video EEG this time. The video EEG (awake and asleep) under consultation with senior neurologist gave absolute normal findings. We showed this video EEG report to the previous doctor and asked him why is the difference in his (abnormal) and elsewhere video EEG (normal) report. The former doctor said that once the patient has been detected with abnormal findings, then subsequent normal findings cannot contradict the fact that the patient has the issue of non-epileptic discharge. We are confused about whether we should give him the syrup Valprol or not.

Dr. Gerry Mike

Neuro Surgery
#

I have read your concern and seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems like there is a discrepancy. It would be wise taking to account both results are true positives. It is warranted to that you go to your child neurologist to confirm if these are seizures.

Most of the time, a video EEG (electroencephalography) confirms the presence of seizures. If it was not caught on video EEG, a thorough history and physical exam are warranted for your nephew. You can continue the valprol for now and let your neurologist discontinue it on the proper time.

Mediterranean Diet and ADHD Prevention

Article Overview: For the first time, a team of researchers was able to demonstrate a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Read Article

Dr. Laurent Hiffler
Nutritionist

This article is a review of a study that showed how Mediterranean type of diet can influence ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). A research team published a very interesting study demonstrating for the first time, a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Children who ...  Read Article

Do you see any abnormality in the attached EEG report?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an EEG done and the results were abnormal. I have attached the reports. What do the results mean? Can I be treated? If yes, then how? I take Aripiprazole, Fluoxetine, and Oxybutynin. I am diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and urinary incontinence. When I was a child (2 or 3 years ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know some details about your symptoms: What exactly happens in the episode of partial loss of consciousness. Is it the feeling of surroundings rotating around you? Is it the feeling of you rotating yourself? Is it the feeling of impending doom with inc...  Read Full

My BPAD medicines have lowered my sex drive and make me short of breath. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old male, who weighs 82 kg. I am suffering from a bipolar affective disorder (BPAD), and have been advised to take Magnesium valproate 400 mg twice daily and Amisulpride 100 mg at bedtime. I am also taking Etizolam 0.25 mg in the morning and 0.5 mg at night, from two week...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms like shortness of breath, poor sleep and loss of sexual pleasure are all the side effects of the medicines that you take for bipolar disorder. I will not suggest stopping these medications, but it will be better to take few medications with effective doses....  Read Full

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now