Q. My 6-year-old has ADHD and the EEG report is abnormal. Is Valprol syrup safe for him?

Dr. Gerry Mike Palisoc
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

My nephew is 6-year-old, and weight is 20 kg, had been detected with ADHD from three years. We had started his medication and behavior therapy around 40 days back under the consultation of pediatrics and psychologist. After 10 days, we consulted a neuro-psychiatrist who recommended us EEG brain (sleep). The report of EEG was abnormal, whereby non-epileptic discharges were captured. The doctor prescribed liquid Valprol in some dosage.

Since the finding was abnormal, we thought of getting a second opinion from a neurologist with video EEG this time. The video EEG (awake and asleep) under consultation with senior neurologist gave absolute normal findings. We showed this video EEG report to the previous doctor and asked him why is the difference in his (abnormal) and elsewhere video EEG (normal) report. The former doctor said that once the patient has been detected with abnormal findings, then subsequent normal findings cannot contradict the fact that the patient has the issue of non-epileptic discharge. We are confused about whether we should give him the syrup Valprol or not.

#

I have read your concern and seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems like there is a discrepancy. It would be wise taking to account both results are true positives. It is warranted to that you go to your child neurologist to confirm if these are seizures.

Most of the time, a video EEG (electroencephalography) confirms the presence of seizures. If it was not caught on video EEG, a thorough history and physical exam are warranted for your nephew. You can continue the valprol for now and let your neurologist discontinue it on the proper time.

|