AIDS, also called acquired immunodeficiency virus, is a sexually transmitted viral infection caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). It is the most advanced stage of HIV infection. This virus can be transmitted through bodily fluids such as blood, semen, anal fluids, vaginal secretions, and breast milk.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Are homosexuals more prone to get peritonitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a homosexual and this is my second time of having anal sex. It has been three weeks my partner had ejaculated inside of me, and then only I heard about peritonitis. I was wondering whether I was exposed to it or will it harm me? I heard that it may lead to death and if so, how lo...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Well, precautions first - While there is absolutely nothing wrong medically in your sexual orientation, irrespective of the legal status in your state, it is definitely not advisable to have unprotected intercourse with anyone. Even the use of condoms only ensures 95...  Read Full »

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-like" w...  Read Full »

I am a HIV negative man married to a HIV positive woman. We would like to have a child.

Query: Hi, I am a 26 year old HIV negative man married to a HIV positive woman. We would like to have a child. I want to know if there is any medication that can prevent the child from being infected. Is there any risk of me also getting infected?  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Yes there are very good chances of you getting infected with your wife during sexual intercourse.So you should take proper precaution before sexual intercourse.Yes. Chances of a baby getting infected with HIV from a HIV positive mother are very high.You should consult a ...  Read Full »

Is one tablet of Septra daily, enough for my dad who has AIDS?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 58 years old and weighs 49 kg and 5.8 feet tall. He is on ART medicine since the last 13 years. He has AIDS. He had seizures last year, so he is also taking Ecosprin 75 mg, Septran, and Eptoin daily. I have two questions. Many doctors are surprised that he is only having...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashaq Hussain Parrey

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Septran (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) is an antibiotic used in AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) patient to prevent PCP (pneumocystis pneumonia) infection. It is prevention dose, that is, prophylaxis (treatment dose, which is two tablets three times a da...  Read Full »

Will an HLA-B35/58 person produce antibodies against HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I have studied that HLA-B35, HLA-B58, and HLA-B7 are responsible for the rapid progression of AIDS and often test false negative when tested. However, with C clade virus it is somewhat protective and does not lead to rapid disease progression which has something to do with the CD8 T ce...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, HLA-B35/58 (human leukocyte antigen) person will be able to produce antibodies against HIV-1 (human immunodeficiency virus). This is true for all clades. The immunogenic response is known to be somewhat greater in clade C due to a higher diversity of im...  Read Full »

Can a purple blotch on the nose mean that I have Kaposi's sarcoma?

Query: Hello doctor, I had protected sex with a sex worker last year. After sex, I forgot to clean my scrotum and did not realize until 30 minutes later. I had a negative OraQuick at six months and a negative rapid blood test at 10 months, but I read that false negatives can happen. I do not remember havin...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The test kits used these days to diagnose HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. Your negative HIV test results (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) at six and then at ten months of exposure...  Read Full »

I touched a used needle.Is there any chance of me getting HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I work for a company where there is one person who is a diabetic. He uses regular insulin injections. Well, I was not paying attention when I picked up the trash can because it fell over, and I touched a used needle. I know I did not get pricked because it did not pierce my skin. I als...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The risk of infection from needlestick injuries depends on: The factors that influence exposure to a greater volume of blood (for example: visible blood on the device, needle which has been placed directly into an artery or a vein of an HIV positive person). Viral...  Read Full »

My last HIV risk exposure was three to four years back. Am I safe now?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 65-year-old white male who tested negative for HIV 1 and 2 in a one-time test three to four years ago. I am not sure if it was a third or fourth-generation test. I tested negative with a fourth-generation test four months back because I thought I might have some symptoms. And I...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your test done before four months is certainly conclusive and final. Three months intervening period/window period between risk exposure and a fourth-generation HIV screening test is good enough for it to be considered conclusive. 95 % of those infected with HIV will ha...  Read Full »

I did not take the post-exposure prophylaxis after unprotected homosexual intercourse. Am I risk for AIDS?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex with a homosexual friend. There was no bleeding, so I did not take post-exposure prophylaxis. I took HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) 1 and 2 Duo (antigen and antibody) test after the 40 th day of exposure. The result was non reactive value = 0.190. I took HIV (...  Read Full »

Dr. Davie Wong

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your 4th generation HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) serology is negative. Your HIV viral load is < 120 IU/mL or < 54 copies/mL. According to the interpretation of your report, it means there might be HIV virus in your blood that is below the lower limit ...  Read Full »

How long do the HIV antibodies remain in the body post exposure?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a general query. I would like to know say a person has HIV and if he does not know about it. He then acquires AIDS. So, even after having AIDS, will there be HIV antibodies in his blood? If he goes for an HIV antibody test after acquiring AIDS, will the antibody test result will ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Antibodies against HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) once formed, stay forever. AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome) is an advanced stage of HIV infection when the patient shows signs of immunodeficiency like opportunistic infections, malignancies, etc. Anti...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.