Aids

Are homosexuals more prone to get peritonitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a homosexual and this is my second time of having anal sex. It has been three weeks my partner had ejaculated inside of me, and then only I heard about peritonitis. I was wondering whether I was exposed to it or will it harm me? I heard that it may lead to death and if so, how lo...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Hair Transplant Surgeon, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, precautions first - While there is absolutely nothing wrong medically in your sexual orientation, irrespective of the legal status in your state, it is definitely not advisable to have unprotected intercourse with anyone. Even the use of condoms only ensures 9...  Read Full »

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

Answer: Hi,  Welcome to icliniq.com. Based upon your history, my answer to your questions: 1. Are My Symptoms Related to ARS? Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS) typically begins 7-14 days after the exposure to a HIV positive patient, and may last for up to 3-4 months. The symptoms are typically "flu-l...  Read Full »

I am a HIV negative man married to a HIV positive woman. We would like to have a child.

Query: Hi, I am a 26 year old HIV negative man married to a HIV positive woman. We would like to have a child. I want to know if there is any medication that can prevent the child from being infected. Is there any risk of me also getting infected?  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes there are very good chances of you getting infected with your wife during sexual intercourse. So you should take proper precaution before sexual intercourse. Yes. Chances of a baby getting infected with HIV from a HIV positive mother are very high. You should consult...  Read Full »

Can you please help me understand my HIV test report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am just done with HIV-1 and HIV-2 test. Can you help me understand the report? Result is 0.03. Notes given regarding this test are this is a chemiluminescent enzyme (CLIA) for simultaneous qualitative detection of antibodies to HIV 1 and 2. A negative result does not exclude the possib...  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Assessment) test result, a value greater than 1 is considered reactive (positive). Your result is 0.03, which is less than 1. Hence, it is non-reactive (negative). In HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus) testing, it is very import...  Read Full »

Can HIV patient lead a normal life without transmitting the infection?

Query: Hi doctor, One of my relatives is HIV positive. He says that it is functional and the virus is not affecting him in any way and he will not transmit the infection to anyone. As per him he does not require the antiviral medicine also but taking it as he is extra cautious. 1. Please help me on how c...  Read Full »

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

Family Physician, HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing like functional HIV infection. Confirm, whether he is HIV 1 or 2 because HIV 2 is less infectious and less violent than 1. If he is infected with 1, then there will be slow progressor or rapid progressor. If he is rapid, then he will have a low CD4 count ...  Read Full »

My HIV tests fall under false negative. Do I have HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, My ex-partner had HIV three years ago when I was along with him. But, he informed me regarding this very recently. He did not make me aware of his condition. We were not careful always. After getting to know, I checked on internet about its signs and symptoms and found that I had all o...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Out of nearly hundred person having sex with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) positive person, hardly less than one may get infected. The chances of acquiring HIV after sexual exposure is less than one percent. I would suggest you to get HIV RT-PCR (real-time polym...  Read Full »

Is one tablet of Septra daily, enough for my dad who has AIDS?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 58 years old and weighs 49 kg and 5.8 feet tall. He is on ART medicine since the last 13 years. He has AIDS. He had seizures last year, so he is also taking Ecosprin 75 mg, Septran, and Eptoin daily. I have two questions. Many doctors are surprised that he is only having...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Septran (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) is an antibiotic used in AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) patient to prevent PCP (pneumocystis pneumonia) infection. It is prevention dose, that is, prophylaxis (treatment dose, which is two tablets three times a day). ...  Read Full »

Does a breakout of cold sores mean I am HIV positive?

Query: Hello doctor, I had pelvic pain for two to three days. My period was very spotty this month. I did not really have one and my period has always been regular. Could this be a sign and symptom of HIV? I am not pregnant. I get yearly lab tests and everything is normal. I got a yearly TB test at th...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern. An irregular period is not a sign of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection nor is a breakout of labial herpes (cold sores). An irregular period could be due to other reasons like stress, anxiety, hormonal imbalances of the thyroid, wei...  Read Full »

CMIA test is negative.Shall i take Gilo Ghan Vati of Patanjali? Do I have AIDS?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old male. I have done a fourth generation CMIA test which came negative after 10 years of post-exposure. I have also done RT- PCR for HIV1 and HIV2 but both came undetected and my CD4 count is 428. I was sick for the last one year with abdominal pain, oral thrush, body pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The fourth generation CMIA (chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay) kit test is 99.9 % correct. But symptoms are present. CD4 count is also not that high, but till results are negative. No one can say HIV positive. Go to any government hospital and give the blood...  Read Full »

Can a purple blotch on the nose mean that I have Kaposi's sarcoma?

Query: Hello doctor,I had protected sex with a sex worker last year. After sex, I forgot to clean my scrotum and did not realize until 30 minutes later. I had a negative OraQuick at six months and a negative rapid blood test at 10 months, but I read that false negatives can happen. I do not remember having...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The test kits used these days to diagnose HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. Your negative HIV test results at six and then at 10 months of exposure are accurate. I am quite sure you are HIV negative. Kaposi...  Read Full »