Common "Alcoholism" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq


Alcoholism means your body has become addicted to alcohol. People with addiction will continue drinking alcohol even if it causes adverse effects on their life, work, and relationships. People who consume more than 12 to 15 drinks a week, people with mental health problems, and people having low self-esteem are at risk of getting addicted to alcohol.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What causes upper abdominal pain in alcoholics?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left upper abdomen and feels like something is about to bulge out. I smoke and drink too. I feel quite congested and full at times and it has affected my activity too. Sometimes the pain radiates to the back and I have difficulty in breathing as well. I am 6'2" in h...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your complaint of left-sided pain in the abdomen and its running to the back can be suggestive of one of the following: 1) Gastritis is the swelling or inflammation of the stomach. The acid problems may be due to your obesity as your weight and BMI are high 32.89. It m...  Read Full »

Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female, who weighs 213 pounds, and I am five feet nine inches tall. I have extreme pain in my upper abdomen and back. I also feel nauseous. I have a fatty liver and pancreas, and gallstones. Please help. I am attaching all my reports.  Read Full »

Dr. Erfana Malik

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). With complaints of severe to moderate upper abdominal pain and vomiting and elevated liver enzyme levels, ultrasound findings of stones in the gallbladder, fatty changes in liver and...  Read Full »

My 41-year-old husband has a habit of drinking alcohol. Is it safe to administer tablet Disulfiram and Naltrexone to help him overcome his addiction problem?

Query: Hello doctor,I am writing this query on behalf of my 41-year-old husband. He developed a habit of drinking at the age of 25, initially as occasional drinking. However, over the last two years, he has started drinking heavily, and it seems that alcohol has taken control of his life. His regular choic...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello,Welcome to can understand both your concerns and those related to your husband's situation. It is possible that your husband is dealing with an alcohol use disorder, given his prolonged heavy alcohol consumption. It is crucial to avoid administering any medication to him without ...  Read Full »

I had extra alcohol at night. Yet in the morning, my blood alcohol level came high. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I was arrested for drunk driving and I believe I was maliciously spiked. I had drunk one glass of alcoholic wine, around 4.2 Oz and my friend poured me a glass of wine which was supposed to be non-alcoholic. I am a 5 feet 9 inches female, I weigh 168 lbs, I had not eaten since breakfas...  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakaran

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. Many people have the false impression that driving after one drink is fine. The truth is that even one glass of wine can make you legally drunk. Many factors affect a person’s tolerance for alcohol. The number of drinks c...  Read Full »

How to treat tongue twist and hand shivering in an alcoholic?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is an alcoholic. He has not been eating for the last 15 days. He is now suffering from insomnia. He sees abnormal things like people standing near to him. He has lost weight. He is having heavy sweat at night on the forehead. His tongue twists and has shivering hands. His height...  Read Full »

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Sorry for your father's condition. Your father is suffering from Wernicke's encephalopathy or Korsakoff syndrome. Chronic alcohol abuse lead to deficiency of vitamin thiamine. I would suggest you to take him to ER (emergency room) and have him admitted and monitored for...  Read Full »

I was an alcoholic and had discomfort. Is it liver cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 35-year-old male. I fear having liver cancer due to my history of chronic alcoholism. I have a body weight of 90 kilograms and a height of 166 cm. I was a heavy alcoholic for the past four years, with a regular intake of 300 ml. However, I reduced my daily alcohol intake after b...  Read Full »

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to I read your query and can understand your concern. You can reverse back liver damage due to your history of heavy alcoholism. But, first, you should do some basic blood investigations such as CBC (complete blood count), LFT (liver function test), including GGT (g...  Read Full »

Does my long-term alcoholic father have an Increased cancer risk?

Query: Hello doctor, My aunt has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and the doctor said it is in a very late stage. We have been trying hard to help her cope. She is on radio and chemotherapy. My father has had the habit of consuming alcohol for the past many years. I am worried that cancer can affect a...  Read Full »

Dr. J. N. Naidu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. Alcohol mainly damages the liver. Alcoholism can adversely affect all organs in the body. So, I suggest your father avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, and carbonated beverages. He should avoid consuming preserved ...  Read Full »

I have a fatty liver with the habit of alcohol consumption. Kindly help me with medications.

Query: Hello doctor, Hope you are doing great. I am sending you LFT test reports of last year and second taken yesterday. I already have fatty liver. For the past six months my alcohol consumption has been bit high. I have completely given up alcohol for the past two days and will not drink. I do not smok...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hello,Welcome to You are developing alcoholic fatty liver disease. You need to cut down and stop alcohol consumption.I suggest you follow medicines that you may discuss with your doctor and get a prescription.1. Tablet Pantop LS (Levosulpiride and Pantoprazole) once daily empty stomach ...  Read Full »

Had alcohol last night and vomiting since morning. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I drank alcohol last night. Since morning, I am vomiting everything that I am eating or drinking, including water. I had Ondem, but still, I have vomiting sensation. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to If Ondem (Ondansetron) also not helping, then it is suggested to get a saline infusion. You may try mouth dissolving preparation of Ondansetron and Pantoprazole. Heavy and sudden alcohol may cause pancreatitis. Take it seriously as no water intake will make it worse. ...  Read Full »

How to stop the alcohol addiction of my brother-in-law?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother-in-law is an alcoholic. He drinks a lot and verbally abuses my sister. When he gets back to normal, he says he does not remember what he said or what wrong he did. He has been involved in binge drinking and smoking for the last 15 years. He says he wants to quit but is unabl...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I would like to inform you that your brother-in-law is suffering from alcoholism which means he is completely dependent on alcohol, and everything is disturbed because of this. It also seems to me that his j...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.