Q. My ultrasound reports say 'bulky liver'. How can I get treated for that?

Answered by
Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My SGOT level is 146, total bilirubin is 2.7, globulin is 4.5 and GGTP is 406. What should I do?



Welcome to

  • Looking at your reports, I see your SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) is elevated, and so are bilirubin and GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase), while the albumin level is normal. It suggests that you have hepatitis.
  • In your case, as you are overweight and perhaps you are an alcoholic, your liver is inflamed.
  • I would like to see the ultrasound reports and also know what your chief complaints are.
  • I would advise you to undergo few more tests like:
  1. HBsAg (Hepatitis B virus surface antigen).
  2. Anti HCV (Hepatitis C virus) test.
  3. PT INR (Prothrombin time international normalized ratio).
  4. CBC (Complete blood count).
  5. RFT (Renal function test).
  • Seek a GI (gastrointestinal) physician with the above reports.

Please revert to me with the above details.

Revert with more details to an internal medicine physician online -->

Thank you doctor,

I am attaching a file. Please have a look and comment on the same.



Welcome back to

I can see a few reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • Anti HCV is negative. LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol is slightly elevated. Rest is quite normal.
  • So what about alcohol intake and your ultrasound report? What are your complaints? Any other diseases?

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Thank you doctor,

The ultrasound of the pelvic region says bulky liver. My alcohol intake is on the higher side. I do not have any other diseases.



Welcome back to

So, you have a bulky liver, you are overweight and have significant alcohol intake.

  • I sincerely advise you to quit drinking as now you are going to a stage where it may cost your life.
  • Also, you must reduce your weight. Your liver is handling the brunt of both alcohol and being overweight.
  • For now, you should see a gastroenterologist.
  • There are certain medications like:
  1. Tablet Ursocol (Ursodiol) 300 mg twice a day.
  2. Capsule Evion (Vitamin E) 400 IU twice a day.
  3. Capsule Nusam (Ademetionine) twice a day.
  • Take these for 15 days and then repeat LFT (liver function test). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Thank you doctor,

Here are the reports you had advised.



Welcome back to

  • I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  1. Viral etiology is negative.
  2. Although the CBC is normal, the platelet count is on the lower side.
  3. Cholesterol is fine.
  4. Urine examination is alright.
  • So, further advise would be the same, that is, to quit alcohol and reduce the body weight.
  • You can start all the above-mentioned medications after your physician's consent.
  • Seek a gastroenterologist who can properly examine you.

Wish you a fast recovery.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is there any medicine to overcome the effects of alcohol?

.. now acknowledged as a disease that requires a combined treatment (medications, psychological and social intervention). Medications to increase tolerance of the patient to alcohol as Iomazenil are not very much recommended as they tend to increase...   Read full

Can multiple myeloma be misdiagnosed over chronic alcoholism?

.. can strongly suggest myeloma; however, marrow biopsy is needed. But, one can fairly be sure about the diagnosis. Before starting treatment one will need the bone marrow biopsy. Also, bony lesion if visible on x-ray, then one may proceed without MR...   Read full

Whenever I drink alcohol, I feel itchy. Why?

I suggest tablet Cetirizine 10 mg at evening to control itching ... Hi doctor, Whenever I drink alcohol, I am getting itchy in my scalp, face and behind the ears ... Itching and flushing may occu...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.