Q. My ultrasound reports say 'bulky liver'. How can I get treated for that?

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My SGOT level is 146, total bilirubin is 2.7, globulin is 4.5 and GGTP is 406. What should I do?

#

• Looking at your reports, I see your SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) is elevated, and so are bilirubin and GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase), while the albumin level is normal. It suggests that you have hepatitis.
  • In your case, as you are overweight and perhaps you are an alcoholic, your liver is inflamed.
  • I would like to see the ultrasound reports and also know what your chief complaints are.
  • I would advise you to undergo few more tests like:
  1. HBsAg (Hepatitis B virus surface antigen).
  2. Anti HCV (Hepatitis C virus) test.
  3. PT INR (Prothrombin time international normalized ratio).
  4. CBC (Complete blood count).
  5. RFT (Renal function test).
  • Seek a GI (gastrointestinal) physician with the above reports.

Please revert to me with the above details.

Revert with more details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I am attaching a file. Please have a look and comment on the same.

#

I can see a few reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Anti HCV is negative. LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol is slightly elevated. Rest is quite normal.
  • So what about alcohol intake and your ultrasound report? What are your complaints? Any other diseases?

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

The ultrasound of the pelvic region says bulky liver. My alcohol intake is on the higher side. I do not have any other diseases.

#

So, you have a bulky liver, you are overweight and have significant alcohol intake.

• I sincerely advise you to quit drinking as now you are going to a stage where it may cost your life.
  • Also, you must reduce your weight. Your liver is handling the brunt of both alcohol and being overweight.
  • For now, you should see a gastroenterologist.
  • There are certain medications like:
  1. Tablet Ursocol (Ursodiol) 300 mg twice a day.
  2. Capsule Evion (Vitamin E) 400 IU twice a day.
  3. Capsule Nusam (Ademetionine) twice a day.
  • Take these for 15 days and then repeat LFT (liver function test). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with their consent.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Here are the reports you had advised.

#

• I saw your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  1. Viral etiology is negative.
  2. Although the CBC is normal, the platelet count is on the lower side.
  3. Cholesterol is fine.
  4. Urine examination is alright.
  • So, further advise would be the same, that is, to quit alcohol and reduce the body weight.
  • You can start all the above-mentioned medications after your physician's consent.
  • Seek a gastroenterologist who can properly examine you.

Wish you a fast recovery.

|