Q. How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 30, 2018

Hello doctor,

My husband takes too much alcohol daily. I want him to stop alcohol forever. About one week before, we have done a health checkup. His SGPT level has increased by 108. What should I do now?



Welcome to

Regarding quitting the alcohol, firstly you need to take him to nearby deaddiction center. You need to talk to him regarding the harmful consequences like liver damage which has now begun. You need to take him into confidence and take him to deaddiction center. There he will get counseling and assistance to quit alcohol. The patients are given medicine to reduce alcohol craving like Naltrexone and also medicines which will produce adverse effects on alcohol consumption, which you must have heard about. This medicine is Disulfiram 250 which you will be provided there which is given once daily.

Regarding his SGPT, the best treatment is abstinence from alcohol. Also, other contributory factors like obesity, healthy lifestyle and weight loss will help to prevent further liver damage. At this stage, damage can be recovered but later this may become irreversible.

Also, get him vaccinated for hepatitis B if not yet done.

Also, he should be given plenty of water, adequate nutrition, fruits, and vegetables.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Thank you doctor,

My husband has skin problems also. He is taking medicine for it for two to three months. Could I give him ayurvedic Nasha Mukti medicine and allopathic (skin medicine) together?



Welcome back to

It is better not to give these together now as the liver is also damaged a bit. It is better to give it after the skin medicine is over. Anyway, which skin medicine he is having, some medicines may cause liver enzymes elevation.

Also, before taking Ayurvedic medicines, consult an Ayurvedic specialist for any possibility of liver damage with the medicine.

All the best.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is the recommended diet for jaundice?

My liver shrank in size and the spleen is enlarged ... Is the liver condition reversible ...   Read full

I need an evaluation of my annual health check up. Please help.

.. (attachment removed to protect patient identity) show that you have fatty liver with deranged LFT (liver function test). Do u drink alcohol? What is ur body weight and height? You need the following tests to be done: HBsAg Anti-HCV You can discus...   Read full

Is there any medicine to overcome the effects of alcohol?

.. now acknowledged as a disease that requires a combined treatment (medications, psychological and social intervention). Medications to increase tolerance of the patient to alcohol as Iomazenil are not very much recommended as they tend to increase...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.