Q. How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?

Published on Mar 30, 2018

My husband takes too much alcohol daily. I want him to stop alcohol forever. About one week before, we have done a health checkup. His SGPT level has increased by 108. What should I do now?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Regarding quitting the alcohol, firstly you need to take him to nearby deaddiction center. You need to talk to him regarding the harmful consequences like liver damage which has now begun. You need to take him into confidence and take him to deaddiction center. There he will get counseling and assistance to quit alcohol. The patients are given medicine to reduce alcohol craving like Naltrexone and also medicines which will produce adverse effects on alcohol consumption, which you must have heard about. This medicine is Disulfiram 250 which you will be provided there which is given once daily.

Regarding his SGPT, the best treatment is abstinence from alcohol. Also, other contributory factors like obesity, healthy lifestyle and weight loss will help to prevent further liver damage. At this stage, damage can be recovered but later this may become irreversible.

Also, get him vaccinated for hepatitis B if not yet done.

Also, he should be given plenty of water, adequate nutrition, fruits, and vegetables.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My husband has skin problems also. He is taking medicine for it for two to three months. Could I give him ayurvedic Nasha Mukti medicine and allopathic (skin medicine) together?

#

It is better not to give these together now as the liver is also damaged a bit. It is better to give it after the skin medicine is over. Anyway, which skin medicine he is having, some medicines may cause liver enzymes elevation.

Also, before taking Ayurvedic medicines, consult an Ayurvedic specialist for any possibility of liver damage with the medicine.

All the best.

Can lowering the legal age of drinking combat the problem of binge drinking?

Query: Hi doctor, Medically, is there a big difference between drinking alcohol by an 18 year old and a 21 year old? Some proponents of lowering the legal drinking age believe it will combat the rising problem of binge drinking on college campuses. From a medical perspective, what are the cons of lowering...  Read Full »

Alcohol - How Much Is Too Much?

Article Overview: This article helps in the self-assessment of alcoholism in a common man, using a validated scientific questionnaire. Read Article

Dr. Krishnadas Thulasidoss

Alcoholism and its related health consequences are a major health care issue all over the world. The social, economic and health consequences are well known. But it is also important to acknowledge the fact that alcohol is an important part of our lives in the form of relaxation, fine dining, social...  Read Article