Q. Is there an effective cure for nasal allergy?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from allergy over 5 years. I have chronic sneeze every morning. I often have running nose all day and it causes headache. It ceases me from work. Please help.

#

• As you said you suffer from nasal allergy and you have frequent running nose and sneezing, it is very clear that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis.
  • Now, next thing in management is to find out the trigger factor of frequent attacks of sneezing. So, most commonly it is dust, pollen, mites, fumes or any strong chemical fragrance in your surrounding. We call it as a trigger for your allergic symptoms.
  • If you can find the trigger, you should try to avoid exposure to it as much as possible. This will help in reducing the attacks in most instances.
  • As allergic rhinitis is a chronic condition, we can only control the symptom but cannot cure it permanently. There is no cure for any allergy.
  • In case you are not able to find out the trigger, you should do a skin allergy test or blood allergy test and check for environmental panel of allergy as in most cases we find the cause is external environment only. If not we can consider other allergy panels like food items, some drugs or other triggers.
  • So, after an allergy test you are pretty sure about what is causing frequent attacks of allergy.
  • For treatment, avoidance of allergen is the priority. Even after avoiding it or if you cannot avoid the trigger, medicines will only help you to control the symptoms. They will never ever cure it from its root.
  • You can try tablet Montair-LC (Montelukast sodium) 10 mg one at night for 3 months and then as required.
  • You can also take Metaspray - Mometasone nasal spray 1 puff daily in each nostril in the morning after taking bath. This will help you to clear your running nose and stop sneezing.
  • If you are not relieved with above treatment, you should see your doctor to rule out underlying asthma or to modify your treatment.

Allergy to unknown triggers.

Skin allergy test or blood allergy test.

Metaspray nasal spray and tablet Montair-LC once daily at night.

Avoid the known triggers.

Revert back with the investigation reports to an allergy specialist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|