Allopurinol

Even after quitting Allopurinol, I have swelling and pain in toe and finger joints. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 40 years old with no history of hypertension, Gout family history, diabetics, kidney disease and no medical drug usage. My BMI: 28.2. Triglycerides: 292 (high). Fasting glucose level: 104. HDL: 31. LDL: 166. I have my first experience of Gout attack at my first joint ...  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of gout is unclear but seems to be multifactorial which includes a combination of genetic, hormonal, metabolic, and dietary factors. Other factors such as family history, advancing age in male or, in women early menopause have also been associated with a...  Read Full »

How to know the reason for my big toe pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering lately from pain in my big toe joint. It is very severe that I could not sleep two nights when I ran out of painkillers. I thought it might be a gout attack. Because I do have gout. Though my uric acid levels are mostly high, I do not really watch what I eat. My tr...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your detailed description, it is gout unless proven otherwise. The reason I say this is your past medical history of gout. Swelling of the great toe and adjoining area with excruciating pain is called podagra. It is the most common presentation of gout. Even nor...  Read Full »

Has running made my gout worse?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with gout. Pain in the big toe is gradual for over four to five days until acute on the sixth day with swelling. During the early stages of pain, I continued with my running. I had no prior knowledge of gout. Could I have made the condition wo...  Read Full »

Dr. Catherine Bevington

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You would not have done any damage to your toe or made gout worse by running on it. The pain and tenderness are likely to last for a few more weeks but should gradually resolve completely. The attack was probably brought on by the beer and the dehydration. If you a...  Read Full »