Q. Has running made my gout worse?

Dr. Catherine Bevington
Published on Dec 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I have been diagnosed with gout. Pain in the big toe is gradual for over four to five days until acute on the sixth day with swelling. During the early stages of pain, I continued with my running. I had no prior knowledge of gout. Could I have made the condition worse by running? I was prescribed Naproxen 500 mg twice daily. I have taken it for one week. Swelling and redness have now gone but mild pain and tenderness to touch continues.How long can I expect to feel this pain and tenderness?

Also, I have become dehydrated at times due to running whilst on holiday in hot and humid conditions and with a sudden increase in alcohol intake. I consumed beer most evenings whilst on holidays over a two-week period. Blood tests are yet to be performed in a week's time. Please help.

#

You would not have done any damage to your toe or made gout worse by running on it. The pain and tenderness are likely to last for a few more weeks but should gradually resolve completely.

The attack was probably brought on by the beer and the dehydration.

If you avoid those precipitants, it may never happen again.

But, if it does you may need to take Allopurinol, a preventing medication. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The dehydration for prolonged duration can lead to high RBC count, high hematocrit and high hemoglobin level. But eight-hour fasting cannot lead to such findings. It is advisable to repeat your test after a few days. Until then, keep yourself well hydrated with lots ...  Read Full

What treatment can be had for pain in the foot along with bruising of the toes?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a painful foot after dancing the whole night. It has bruised toes along the area of my big toe on the inside of my foot. It is painful to touch and walk. Any idea what is this?  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The possibility is that this is just a burst vein and ice and rest will help it. It could be a soft tissue bruise if you have accidentally knocked you toe while dancing. It could be a fracture too. Treatment is more or less the same. Rest, ice, and NSAIDs (nonsteroid...  Read Full

Please advise non-surgical treatment for lumbar lordosis and disc dehydration.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain which has made me stay in bed for two weeks. Now the pain has reduced but I have very limited movement, just to go to the bathroom but still, there is a pain when I want to stand up. I did the MRI test, the result was showing lumbar lordosis is decreased with scolio...  Read Full >>

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your MRI report shows evidence of wear and tear of the lumbar disc with some pressure on the nerves (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is difficult to suggest the treatment without examining you in person. However, generally speaking, it is possible...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now