Q. Has running made my gout worse?

Dr. Catherine Bevington
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

I have been diagnosed with gout. Pain in the big toe is gradual for over four to five days until acute on the sixth day with swelling. During the early stages of pain, I continued with my running. I had no prior knowledge of gout. Could I have made the condition worse by running? I was prescribed Naproxen 500 mg twice daily. I have taken it for one week. Swelling and redness have now gone but mild pain and tenderness to touch continues.How long can I expect to feel this pain and tenderness?

Also, I have become dehydrated at times due to running whilst on holiday in hot and humid conditions and with a sudden increase in alcohol intake. I consumed beer most evenings whilst on holidays over a two-week period. Blood tests are yet to be performed in a week's time. Please help.

#

You would not have done any damage to your toe or made gout worse by running on it. The pain and tenderness are likely to last for a few more weeks but should gradually resolve completely.

The attack was probably brought on by the beer and the dehydration.

If you avoid those precipitants, it may never happen again.

But, if it does you may need to take Allopurinol, a preventing medication. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

|