Q. I have a history of gout with high uric acid. Should I worry about kidney disease?

Dr. Peter Bryant Rapsing Grutas

I am 40 years old with no history of hypertension, Gout family history, diabetics, kidney disease and no medical drug usage.

My BMI: 28.2.

Triglycerides: 292 (high).

Fasting glucose level: 104.

HDL: 31.

LDL: 166.

I have my first experience of Gout attack at my first joint of big toe before three weeks when my uric acid level was 9.4. Doctor prescribed Indomethacin 100 mg for two weeks and when I started Allopurinol after third week, I had a feeling of numbness with big toe swelling and pain in my finger joints. Even after quitting Allopurinol, I have pain.

I managed to reduce my weight from 90 to 87.5 kg in the last three weeks and drink plenty of water and follow a healthy diet. Is it possible to have high uric acid level without UTI? Should I worry about kidney disease or other consequences?

#

The cause of gout is unclear but seems to be multifactorial which includes a combination of genetic, hormonal, metabolic, and dietary factors. Other factors such as family history, advancing age in male or, in women early menopause have also been associated with a higher risk of having gout. Some patients can be tapered off with uric acid-lowering therapy medication after several years of taking the medication especially in combination with lifestyle modification.

With regard to your current kidney function, it seems it is still normal based on your present lab results. Medication for gout such as Allopurinol and Colchicine are excreted in the kidney. Since your kidneys are doing fine, you do not have to worry about toxic metabolite accumulation in the kidneys. Is there anything else I can help you with?

|