Q. What problems can a woman with alpha thalassemia have if she plans to conceive?

Answered by
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2023 and last reviewed on: Mar 28, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am a thalassemia carrier patient with an alpha trait, and my girlfriend also has the same thalassemia trait issue. Moreover recently I got diagnosed with neutropenia. My question is should I continue with the relationship with my girlfriend? Would it cause any problem, for our future generation or for my girlfriend while conceiving?



Welcome to

I read your query and can understand your concern.

In beta thalassemia condition, two minor couple marriage is not advisable. But in alpha thalassemia, the mechanism is somewhat complex because the alpha chain contains four gene alleles. So it has to be checked how many alleles are affected in alpha thalassemia.

In alpha thalassemia, HbH and Hb Bart has been the main issue in minor couple marriage. Hb Bart is a condition in which no allele is present so it is a dangerous condition. HbH is not serious as that of Hb Bart. So molecular testing is advisable in that case. Consult a nearby hematologist for examination and further molecular investigation

I hope this will help you.

Thank you and take care.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Thalassemia Trait Screening: a Real Need in the Community

.. of hemolytic anemia. It is an autosomal recessive disorder. If two individuals with 'thalassemia minor trait' marry, the chance of the offspring having thalassemia major is 25 %. Hence it's screening is necessary in our community .. ...   Read full

Thalassemia Intermedia - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment

People who inherit thalassemia cannot produce hemoglobin, causing anemia (decreased red blood cell count) and other complications ... Intermediate thalassemia is a middle-grade clinical symptom of the asymptomatic carrier β-...   Read full

My hemoglobin count is low. Could it be due to my heavy menstrual flow?

.. forward your hemoglobin electrophoresis report to me?For more information consult a hematologist online --> .. ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.