Amputation

When is amputation needed in people with diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, A person came asking for our assistance. He lives in the jungle. He reported an injury in his right foot with pain and a burning sensation in his toes and foot. The wound smells bad, and the toes turned black. He did not have a fever. We took him to the hospital, and they advised for amp...  Read Full »

Dr. N Ashok Viswanath

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your query and acknowledge the picture attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The images you uploaded are highly suggestive of invasive bacterial infection (gangrene) and may need amputation as advised by your physicia...  Read Full »

How long should I take antibiotics post toe amputation?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a toe amputation of my pinky toe that got ripped off in a surfing accident. In the hospital, they gave me an antibiotic injection and antibiotic pills for one day. It has been four days, and the wound is healing alright. I told this to the doctor friend of mine, and he said I sh...  Read Full »

Dr. Nasir

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is of utmost importance that you continue and complete the full dose of antibiotics that were started. Antibiotics are given to kill or prevent the start of infection as such conditions are favorable for them to grow. In your case, since recent surgery or min...  Read Full »

Can a severed finger recover fully after reattachment?

Query: Hello doctor, Is there any possibility of full recovery after detachment of severed right-hand thumb, if the detached part is found and not fully damaged?  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The recovery depends on multiple factors: Time since the injury to revascularization (six hours for limbs and up to eight to 10 hours for digits depending on the method of preservation of detached part). The degree of crushing of both the ends. Age of the patient (...  Read Full »