Q. What is the treatment for ophthalmic aneurysm?

Dr. Gerry Mike Palisoc
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 28, 2019

I met with an accident and got a hit in the occipital region before a month. Though there is no pain or headache, had a check MRI scan last month. Incidental finding of ICA aneurysm. To confirm, had another MRI scan from a different hospital and that too revealed the same as ophthalmic ICA aneurysm. I would like to know the treatment options.

Can it get cured with regular medication? Or is surgery must for this condition? If yes, kindly explain the surgery. There is no pain, headache, giddiness, or any associated symptoms. I had pancreatic stone removal many years ago and diabetic. I am on regular medication Gluformin G2 (morning one and night one) and 50 mcg Levothyroxine (morning one).

#

I have read your concern about the ICA (internal carotid artery) aneurysm. It is a good thing that you identified it early. The size is small. Aneurysm at this location is hard to operate on because of the depth, and the rupture rate (which we are concerned about) is almost nil. If your son is hypertensive, nondiabetic, and does not have a family with aneurysm rupture, then it is wiser to observe this aneurysm for growth. Repeat CT angiogram in six months is helpful. These things should answer your question.

|