Q. I feel sharp pain and swelling in my Achilles tendon with tingling sensation. What could it be?

Dr. Saseendar S
Published on Nov 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I dislocated my right ankle before 14 years and had an operation after one year. Ever since then I have a sheer sharp pain go up to my Achilles tendon lasting for 20 seconds. What causes it? Recently, it is getting worse and swelling has formed around the tendon and there is pain around the heel and tendon. I am having pain around the ankle joint as well. Sometimes, I cannot walk on it. It sometimes gets cold then, very warm with a tingling sensation. What could it be?

Dr. Saseendar S

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

You appear to be suffering from Haglund deformity, which is otherwise called Achillestendo insertional tendonitis. It happens from overuse and consists of inflammation and swelling of the Achilles insertion. It is not related to your ankle injury earlier. Treatment usually is pain killers, anti-inflammatory, cold compresses, stretching exercises and sometimes use of a small heel in your shoe to relax.

Your ankle pain is possibly due to arthritis resulting from the injury. The treatment depends on the age and the severity of the injury. If you are having pain in the front of the ankle, first you need to get an x-ray to study your ankle. Further treatment depends on the radiological findings and the severity of arthritis. Let me know when you get an x-ray done.

Please give a second opinion regarding my knee surgery.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. When I met with an accident before six years my left leg below knee got injured and the doctors has done wrong surgery. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send me details of the accident and the surgery done, so that I can help you further. Please also send me the current x-ray pictures and name of the surgical procedure done. Revert back with reports and more detailed history to an orthopaedician and traumatol...  Read Full

Why am I getting pain at the back of my calcaneus bone?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel some pain at the back of my calcaneus bone. The pain is especially after the first step in the morning when I wake up from bed. But, there is no redness or swelling. What is the reason for my pain?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history of pain on the first step in the morning is consistent with a condition called as plantar fasciitis whereas pain in the back or posterior aspect of the heel is seen in retrocalcaneal bursitis. Can you please specify the exact position of pain with the imag...  Read Full

Why do I get sharp stabbing pain inside the bone?

Query: Hi doctor, I am unable to bear weight on my healed ankle. I had a fracture of the same ankle four years ago. This problem has been there since six months. Climbing stairs is a problem. I get pain inside my bone, sharp stabbing pain and some burning sensation. This stabbing pain stays for a week or s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you sustained an ankle fracture around four years ago and now you have persistent symptoms in the same ankle joint. I actually need to know the details of your fracture and what management was done at that time. Also right now apart from pain, ...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now