Q. I feel sharp pain and swelling in my Achilles tendon with tingling sensation. What could it be?

Dr. Saseendar. S
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I dislocated my right ankle before 14 years and had an operation after one year. Ever since then I have a sheer sharp pain go up to my Achilles tendon lasting for 20 seconds. What causes it? Recently, it is getting worse and swelling has formed around the tendon and there is pain around the heel and tendon. I am having pain around the ankle joint as well. Sometimes, I cannot walk on it. It sometimes gets cold then, very warm with a tingling sensation. What could it be?

#

You appear to be suffering from Haglund deformity, which is otherwise called Achillestendo insertional tendonitis. It happens from overuse and consists of inflammation and swelling of the Achilles insertion. It is not related to your ankle injury earlier. Treatment usually is pain killers, anti-inflammatory, cold compresses, stretching exercises and sometimes use of a small heel in your shoe to relax.

Your ankle pain is possibly due to arthritis resulting from the injury. The treatment depends on the age and the severity of the injury. If you are having pain in the front of the ankle, first you need to get an x-ray to study your ankle. Further treatment depends on the radiological findings and the severity of arthritis. Let me know when you get an x-ray done.

|