Q. I have anxiety and panic disorder. Can I drink occasionally?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

I have anxiety and panic disorder for the past five years, for which I was taking antidepressants. I have stopped taking antidepressants for more than eight months as I started feeling well. I drink alcohol occasionally. Is there any chance of anxiety disorder relapsing? Can I drink occasionally?

#

It is good that you do not have any symptoms even after stopping the medicines eight months back. There is always a chance that panic disorder and anxiety relapse.

So you have to be careful and watchful that if any previous symptoms reappear or any new symptoms arise, then you have to consult your psychiatrist as soon as possible.

Alcohol per se does not cause these symptoms if used occasionally and in lower quantity (within safe limit). However, the chances are high if the intake is increased. If you become dependent on it or use more alcohol, then alcohol-related medical conditions can arise and may complicate the situation.

Occasional social drinking usually does not cause much problem. Also, do regular follow-ups, so that early sign and symptoms are recognized and dealt accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|