Q. I have anxiety and panic disorder. Can I drink occasionally?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Published on Sep 16, 2017

I have anxiety and panic disorder for the past five years, for which I was taking antidepressants. I have stopped taking antidepressants for more than eight months as I started feeling well. I drink alcohol occasionally. Is there any chance of anxiety disorder relapsing? Can I drink occasionally?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

It is good that you do not have any symptoms even after stopping the medicines eight months back. There is always a chance that panic disorder and anxiety relapse.

So you have to be careful and watchful that if any previous symptoms reappear or any new symptoms arise, then you have to consult your psychiatrist as soon as possible.

Alcohol per se does not cause these symptoms if used occasionally and in lower quantity (within safe limit). However, the chances are high if the intake is increased. If you become dependent on it or use more alcohol, then alcohol-related medical conditions can arise and may complicate the situation.

Occasional social drinking usually does not cause much problem. Also, do regular follow-ups, so that early sign and symptoms are recognized and dealt accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Suffering from anxiety, and panic attacks for the last 3 years. Need second opinion on the prescription.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the last 3 years. I went to a neurologist 2 years back and he advised me to take REXIPRA 10 for 3 months, SOLTUS 50 for 6 months, HEMIDAP PLUS for 9 months & ZEPAM .5 for 12 months. Upon following these medications, I was improvin...  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »