Q. Can I take Theanine capsules to reduce anxiety?

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Published on Oct 21, 2017

I have stress related problems as I have had very painful feet since I was a teenager. I have tried chiropractic, orthotics, acupuncture, reiki, cranial sacral therapy and all kinds of natural pain relievers, but nothing worked. I occasionally take Advil to reduce the pain. I have been on Xanax 25 mg and 50 mg for the past 10 years. I am having regular laboratory test once in a year. I have a few doubts about using L-Theanine for anxiety symptoms. Can I take the capsules to alleviate anxiety? I have also purchased Lemon Balm.

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist Naturopathy Pharmacology Siddha Medicine Toxicology
#

• L-Theanine is the naturally derived amino acids, which is involved in glutamate transmission and thus helpful in reducing anxiety
  • There are a few studies which show that L-Theanine reduces the glutamate transmission. So, there is conflicting evidence. But, clinical studies showed the evidence of usefulness in reducing anxiety, hence nothing wrong with consuming it.
  • I suggest you one capsule (200 mg) in the morning and one in the evening. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and get the dose altered.
  • These nutritional supplements never act like drugs. So, do not have much hope as Xanax (Alprazolam).
  • You can also consume more tea regularly as the same amino acid is present in it.
  • Ideally, the naturopathy means, supplying the essential chemicals through diet. If somebody never takes tea, then this capsule is advisable. Since there is no side effect with this supplement, I advise to try for it.
  • Yoga, pranayama and yoga nidra are the best way to relieve anxiety.
  • Lemon balm is also a good supplement, natural antioxidant and has benefit with old age. But, the role in anxiety is less. 

For further information consult a naturopathy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/naturopathy-specialist

Can I take L-Theanine capsules along with protein powder, which has 1425 mg of L-Theanine?

Dr. Arul Amuthan

#

• The supplement can produce its expected benefit in anxiety at 400 mg two times a day itself.
  • If there is no improvement with 800 mg per day, then even if you increase its dose more there may not be any additional benefit. As you are already consuming 1425 mg of L-Theanine in protein smoothie, it is more than enough.
  • As there is a capacity for our body, overdose may not be utilized by our body.
  • So, since you bought the capsule already as well as it is harmless, if you feel any additional benefit, then you may continue.
  • If you get an additional benefit, then it means your body's capability of utilizing this supplement is good.

Will taking protein powder to gain weight have any side-effects?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old, weight is 55 kg, height is 5'11". I have a problem in gaining weight. The checkup shows that all things are normal. I am eating regularly. Kindly explain the problem in detail and tell whether taking protein powder has any side effect or not.  Read Full »

Nutraceuticals: The Need of the Day

Article Overview: This article aims to familiarize patients with the importance of taking antioxidants (commonly known as vitamins and minerals) in their day to day life and preventing many lifestyle diseases. Read Article

Dr. Jayvirsinh Indrasinh Chauhan
Preventive Medicine Physician

Being a homeopathic doctor, there are very few methods of treatment that attract my attention, speaking of it, after going through some of them thoroughly, in my capacity. What attracted my attention recently is the study of theories of free radicals and antioxidants. The whole purpose of writing th...  Read Article

Is it safe to take Glutathione when one is planning to conceive?

Query: Hello doctor, My 25-year-old wife is planning to use Glutathione as one of her dietary supplements. She is still trying to conceive. Is that okay? Is it safe? Will it still be okay to take Glutathione during pregnancy? What other dietary supplements would you recommend?  Read Full »

Ask a Naturopathy Specialist Now