Q. For anxiety, should I use SSRI or 5-HTPn?

I am suffering from panic disorder. I am currently on Paroxetine CR 12.5. For anxiety, should I use SSRI or 5-HTPn?

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Regarding treatment of choice for anxiety, SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) groups of medicines are very effective when compared with 5HTPn (5-Hydroxytryptophan). In fact, according to available literature, SSRI is the drug of choice for anxiety.

5HTPn is useful for mild anxiety and most individuals fail to respond to it.

In case there is mild anxiety, you can proceed with behavioral methods of treatment rather than medication. Talk therapies are equally effective in mild anxiety.

| 

Do you think low serotonin can cause fatigue, loss of energy and appetite?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male. For the past three weeks, I have been feeling sick. My symptoms are a feeling of general fatigue of my entire body with loss of energy and appetite. Before I got sick, I spent over a week working hard. I just had food once or twice a day, drank little water an...  Read Full »

Why do I feel sad often?

Query: Hi doctor, Sometimes, I feel very sad inside. But, I do not know the reason for my sadness. During this period of sadness, I do not like to talk. I feel so depressed as I cannot do anything, including my studies? How to come out of this type of sadness? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Having depression and not getting well with SSRI. Can you suggest any treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from depression, anxiety, and OCD. I have tried triglycerides and SSRI, but they do not seem to work. I also have BP and diabetes. I am currently on cardiac medicines as I have undergone angioplasty twice. Please suggest me the treatment for depression.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»