Q. Having depression and not getting well with SSRI. Can you suggest any treatment?

Dr. Aditya Gupta
Published on May 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering from depression, anxiety, and OCD. I have tried triglycerides and SSRI, but they do not seem to work. I also have BP and diabetes. I am currently on cardiac medicines as I have undergone angioplasty twice. Please suggest me the treatment for depression.

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatry Sexology
#

• You are currently on SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor). Have you consulted a psychiatrist or your cardiologist regarding medicines for depression?
  • Several medications are available for treating depression, but each drug takes on an average of two weeks to exert the effect. One point I would like to mention is that you are on Clonotril (Clonazepam) and Ativan (Lorazepam). Both should be tapered off.
  • Besides medicines, meditate daily for at least half an hour in the morning. It will help a lot. Maintain a stress diary and log your thoughts daily.
  • In some cases, certain drugs do not help, but still, depression can be cured.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

I have been taking drugs as prescribed by a qualified Psychiatrist. SSRI Fluvoxamine maleate, Clonil, Trapex and Clonotril 0.5 mg. I have attached the prescription. I am taking all these drugs at one time at night is very difficult as I cannot tolerate the number and quantity at one time. Even a fraction of amount of each of these drugs makes my head roll as side effects outweigh the benefits (countering of depression, ocd, and anxiety). I want to understand if there can be a single drug to be taken at one time either morning or evening. Please give an expert advice for this query.

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatry Sexology
#

Certain things I want to clear are how much time you are taking these particular meds, how is your sleep before and after starting these medicines. If any on a scale of 10 how much you rate improvement in OCD and depression symptoms after these medicines started?

Kindly provide these details and then we will sort out alternative suitable to you. As of now as I have earlier pointed we should decrease Trapex and Clonotril one by one.

Thyroid profile.

Revert with the details to a psychiatrist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Will my anxiety relapse if I stop SSRI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male who was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and social anxiety, eight years back. Initially, I was prescribed Paxil 20 mg, which helped treat my anxiety and depression but I started having side effects of weight gain, fatigue, and sexual dysfunction. When I st...  Read Full »