Ssri

SSRI refers to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It is a class of drugs used to treat major depressive disorder and anxiety.

Does Fluoxetine reduce sexual interest?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 35 year old male. Recently, I consulted a psychiatrist for a health issue and the doctor prescribed tablet Flunil 20, an antidepressant. After about two to three weeks, I noticed that I was becoming more and more asexual. My sexual desire and interest started to diminish. I can ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluoxetine (Flunil 20) belongs to the SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) class of antidepressants. Fluoxetine is one of the notorious antidepressants in relation to sexual side effects. The available data indicate that about 30 to 40 % of those taking Fluoxe...  Read Full »

When will dizziness and brain zaps stop after discontinuing Venlafaxine?

Query: Dear doctor, I have stopped taking my medications, Effexor 75 mg for a few days. I am wondering when my dizziness and brain zaps would stop.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The sudden discontinuation of Venlafaxine (Effexor) particularly seemed to cause discontinuation symptoms during the first three to seven days. Ideally, it should not be stopped abruptly. It should rather be decreased sequentially over two to three weeks. And, another ...  Read Full »

How to help a friend who is depressed due to work stress?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend is 40 years old. She was attacked by polio at the age of 3 and unable to walk. She is under depression due to work stress. She is reacting like a mentally challenged sometimes. We do not know what is in her mind. Since two months, she has been reacting this way. Please help u...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Persistent work stress could lead to adjustment disorder and increases the risk of depressive and anxiety symptoms. She is suffering from polio and has work stress. These are probably the reasons that she behaves weird. If her symptoms persist then please consult...  Read Full »

How to stop talking to people in my mind?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking 3 mg Risperdal for two years and 40 mg Fluoxetine from the last two weeks. Sometimes when I speak, I say one thing and mean something else. The sentence which I say is good, but I mean something lustful or violent inside. When people speak to me, I repeat or say along with...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description, there is clear evidence that you are dealing with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The disorder is characterized by repeated thoughts, actions, or images without proper control of the ind...  Read Full »

What is the cause for having sudden mood changes and fear of losing people?

Query: Hi doctor, I often feel very low, anxious, and stressed. I try diverting myself, but I still get into a trance, where I feel sad. I am afraid of losing people, and keep thinking about what they think and how they feel. Even though they are not worthy of my sorry at times, I still apologize out of ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. I do not think these are symptoms of multiple personalities. Your main symptoms are related to mood like low mood, feeling bad at times, and anxiousness. Fear of losing people is also related to depression. Your behavior to say sorry desp...  Read Full »

How to get rid of anxiety, anticipation, and negative thoughts and improve focus?

Query: Hello doctor, My thoughts are always racing, and I cannot focus. I am always worried, and I think for the worse. I get emotional over things which happened in the past, every day. I have gained 20 lbs over the past year. I stress about going for trips or gatherings in advance, but in the end, I alwa...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. You have a problem with racing thoughts and always think worse. If these thoughts are unwanted, dominating, and are resulting in distress, then that could be due to anxiety or possibly these could be obsessive thoughts. These thoughts ar...  Read Full »

Could I take a tablet Prozac temporarily to relieve my withdrawal symptoms of tablet Seroxat?

Query: Hi doctor, I am tapering the dosage of tablet Seroxat from 10 mg to 9 mg. But the intensity of my headache is overwhelming. I cannot deal with the pain. I am experiencing sharp pain in the head along with on and off pain in my legs. Could I temporarily take a tablet Prozac? Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your query. Tablet Seroxat has a concise half life and hence tapering it will cause withdrawal symptoms. I suggest you two alternative options as follows; 1) Take a long-acting SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Fluoxetine (Pr...  Read Full »

How to provide relief for my mom's back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My 68 years old mother is having severe back pain since last few months. Whenever she stands up for some time, her back pain starts, and it goes down to the entire legs. It becomes so intolerable that she has to sit down somewhere immediately to avoid pain, and she gets relief after sh...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your mother's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother seems to be suffering from radiculopathy, due to nerve compression as a result of disc prolapse. The treatment of this problem needs patience and takes a long time. For pain,...  Read Full »

I am not able to decide about my career. Do I need psychiatric consultation?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 30 year old male. At present, I am struggling to make a move in my career. I have been sitting idle for about eight months and I am confused about which career direction to take. I want to play according to my strength. I am not able to decide about it. I keep changing my decision o...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Indecisiveness could be occurring due to underlying mood disturbance, but to make an exact diagnosis of the problem a detailed evaluation is needed. You are not working for last eight months and struggling in your career. It could be due ...  Read Full »

My 30-year-old suffers from an anxiety disorder. Is it curable with medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, My 30 year old daughter is suffering from anxiety disorder and washes her hands two to three times, as she fails to remember. Also, she faces the same problem during a bath. But with reasoning, she is trying to overcome. We are trying hard by talking to her to reduce her fear and compu...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it appears to be a case of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). It can be treated with both medications and psychotherapy, although the best result is when both modalities are combined. Fluoxetine is a relatively safer drug considering future pr...  Read Full »