Ssri

SSRI refers to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It is a class of drugs used to treat major depressive disorder and anxiety.

SSRI is not helping with my bipolar disorder and panic attacks. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have bipolar disorder, panic attacks, social and generalized anxiety disorder. I have one to three panic attacks per day, constant anxiety, and fear of leaving the house. No motivation to work, no energy, apathetic, without mood. Right now I am in a depressive episode. I previousl...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your anxiety is not responsive to SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), then you should consider trying TCA (tricyclic antidepressants) class of antidepressants. They will help with your anxiety and panic attacks. Apart from Tranxene and Benzodiazepin...  Read Full »

Is there any pharmacological substitute for Duloxetine?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 53 years old, nondiabetic. She is hypertensive (150-100) and having all over body pain, fatigue and morning stiffness. We consulted a neurologist and she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. She was going about daily activities by using painkiller every day (Innova-MR, Diclo...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that morning stiffness is not a typical sign of fibromyalgia, but it could indicate a rheumatological disorder. Coming to this point, considering her slightly elevated erythrosedimentation, I would recommend performing other...  Read Full »

My uncle has schizophrenia. Will I get the same genetically?

Query: Hello doctor, These past few days I have been bad as I have focused back on my schizophrenia obsession. It mainly focuses on times I have been paranoid, or times I have visualized things as something else. Examples: when slacking off at work thinking, what if there are cameras in the office or inte...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for such a detailed history. It makes things very clear. I will sum up the main clinching reason why you do not have schizophrenia. You have insight. Means you know what is wrong with you and you can attribute a reasonable logical cause to this and know wh...  Read Full »

How to become more energetic and active?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking Stalopam 10 bd, Fludac 20 od and Alprax 0.5 od for anxiety and depression. I feel sleepy in daytime and frequent yawning. I feel fatigue and no energy or activeness. I am also on Olmesartan for high BP; Harty and Mactor EZ for high cholesterol levels. Kindly suggest some medic...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. You are suffering from anxiety and depressive disorder and are on 20 mg Escitalopram and 20 mg Fluoxetine per day. Both these drugs are SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and in my opinion there is no use in taking two SSRI drugs...  Read Full »

How to deal with panic attack with some associated symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been getting panic attacks very frequently. It comes with shortness of breath, my chest feels tight and painful, and an emotional breakdown. I often feel dizzy, light head and like I have no control over my body. This has been happening for four days now and yesterday I had...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Many times, anxiety and depression coexist and it leads to the symptoms you have been experiencing. Moreover, the body heals in sleep and that is also disturbed for you, so that is not allowing you to recover. This basically happens due to a deficiency of a neurotran...  Read Full »

How to cope up with depressive thoughts caused after TB diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22-year-old female. I weigh about 52 kg. So from the last one year, right after my graduation, I am at home as I was diagnosed with TB. So being at home I feel depressed. My mood changes every minute. My behavior from the last six months is irritating and arrogant. The people a...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your description and symptoms are typical of major depressive disorder. This happens very commonly, one in four women can have this at any point in their life. Due to any prolonged stresses, sometimes the stress handling capacity of the brain gets reduced due to the ...  Read Full »

I get anxiety from morning to mid-noon and SSRI is not supporting me. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I cannot get any SSRI medicine to work anymore after 25 years. I have anxiety only from morning to mid-afternoon. Doctor put me on Oxcarbazepine 300 mg daily for anxiety but this seizure medicine is making me dizzy and very tired and off-balance. My head feels weird. I just weaned com...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering your age, it will be difficult to try a low dose of TCA (tricyclic antidepressant), but if nothing works that is always an option. Apart from an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), there is always SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibi...  Read Full »

To stop continuous panic attacks, which drug can be taken other than Clonazepam?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been on Klonopin that is Clonazepam prescribed before 14 years for panic attacks and anxiety. I am currently on the 2 mg dosage and taking it four times a day. This is monitored every few months by my family doctor. For the past one week, I have noticed that I have been experienc...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. Anxiety and panic disorders are serious disorders and tend to recur. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine drug and have good efficacy in controlling the symptoms of anxiety. The drug can control panic symptoms effectively but is not the treatment ...  Read Full »

My friend takes L-Theanine for anxiety. Does it have any side effect?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend is 21 years old and suffers from anxiety. He feels like it is getting in the way of his daily activities and interactions with people. He used to get attacks more often but that is a lot better now. He decided to start taking L-Theanine pills or supplements. I would like t...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. L-Theanine is an amino acid synthesized from tea. It helps with reducing stress and anxiety and induces a sense of calmness by increasing serotonin and dopamine in the brain which are the feel-good chemicals. As such, it is a supplement and not a medicine per se, so...  Read Full »

How to help a friend who is depressed due to work stress?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend is 40 years old. She was attacked by polio at the age of 3 and unable to walk. She is under depression due to work stress. She is reacting like a mentally challenged sometimes. We do not know what is in her mind. Since two months, she has been reacting this way. Please help ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Persistent work stress could lead to adjustment disorder and increases the risk of depressive and anxiety symptoms. She is suffering from polio and has work stress. These are probably the reasons that she behaves weird. If her symptoms persist then please...  Read Full »