Ssri

SSRI refers to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It is a class of drugs used to treat major depressive disorder and anxiety.

Please suggest the best medicine for my psychological disorders.

Query: Hi doctor,I would like to know some treatment recommendations for my condition. I have bipolar disorder type II, social and generalized disorder, and panic disorder. I am having depression for a year. My hypomania is very mild and short-lived. I am afraid to get out of my home due to my constant anx...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth N. Nagda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your anxiety symptoms, you have tried taking SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and SNRI (serotonin-norephedrine reuptake inhibitor) class of medications. I suggest you try taking TCA (tricyclic antidepressants) class of antidepressants like Amitrip...  Read Full »

How to prevent serotonin syndrome while taking antidepressants?

Query: Hi doctor, I am under treatment for OCD and anxiety symptoms. I have had very hard months with extreme anxiety, panic attacks and depersonalization. Now, I am on Duloxetine 60 mg (will stop in the next 7 weeks), Paroxetine 20 mg (will be reduced in the following weeks), Clomipramine hydrochloride...  Read Full »

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is always a possibility of serotonin syndrome when two or more serotonergic antidepressants are being used.However, Clomipramine and an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) like Paroxetine are frequently used together in resistant OCD (obsessive-compulsive ...  Read Full »

What is the recommended dose of Anafranil for OCD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old male. I have OCD for past five years. I went to several doctors and used too many drugs such as Sertraline and Fluoxetine and Anafranil. The only drug that helped was Anafranil. I asked from my doctor to prescribe Anafranil but he denied and in every visit he prescr...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Anafranil (Clomipramine) is a type of older antidepressants, and it has some undesirable side effects like constipation dryness of mouth, at times effect on the heart. Because of the side effect for file usually, doctors refrain from going for higher doses. But if yo...  Read Full »

Can taking hormonal pills for perimenopause symptoms cause breast cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46-year-old female who is dealing with perimenopause symptoms. My Ob-gyn has recommended taking low dose of birth control pills to relieve my symptoms. However, I am at a higher risk for breast cancer because my late mother (who died in an auto accident) was a breast cancer sur...  Read Full »

Dr. Nadia Khan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is really sad to hear about your mother but I would like to add into your information that evidence suggests that HRT does not significantly increase the risk of breast cancer. It is only contraindicated if the person taking HRT has breast cancer already. Second...  Read Full »

SSRI is not helping with my bipolar disorder and panic attacks. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have bipolar disorder, panic attacks, social and generalized anxiety disorder. I have one to three panic attacks per day, constant anxiety, and fear of leaving the house. No motivation to work, no energy, apathetic, without mood. Right now I am in a depressive episode. I previousl...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth N. Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your anxiety is not responsive to SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), then you should consider trying TCA (tricyclic antidepressants) class of antidepressants. They will help with your anxiety and panic attacks. Apart from Tranxene and Benzodiazepin...  Read Full »

Does Fluoxetine reduce sexual interest?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 35 year old male. Recently, I consulted a psychiatrist for a health issue and the doctor prescribed tablet Flunil 20, an antidepressant. After about two to three weeks, I noticed that I was becoming more and more asexual. My sexual desire and interest started to diminish. I can ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fluoxetine (Flunil 20) belongs to the SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) class of antidepressants. Fluoxetine is one of the notorious antidepressants in relation to sexual side effects. The available data indicate that about 30 to 40 % of those taking Fluoxe...  Read Full »

How to get cured from recurrent OCD?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an obsessive compulsive disorder. When I was taking Uvox for four years, it was all fine. Now it relapsed, and I am taking Uvox before I used to take Stalopam. Can I get back to my healthy life and go office rgularly where I have to do brain work for nine hours? Please let me ...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. OCD responds well to medication (SSRIs - selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and psychological therapy (CBT - cognitive behavioral therapy). I presume you are on Fluvoxamine which is useful in OCD. You need to be monitored by your doctor to optimize the dose and...  Read Full »

Will taking Citalopram with alcohol has any potential risk?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is actually regarding my husband. He is currently taking Citalopram and Abilify for his depression. He works a manual labor job and is consuming a cup of coffee every morning, two energy drinks, and a five-hour energy during the course of the day. He then comes home and dr...  Read Full »

Dr. Uphar Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. His lifestyle is detrimental to healthy living. One should never mix Citalopram with alcohol and that too in sleep apnea patient. The center of breathing in the brain in these patients is stressed as the patient is not getting oxygen properly and hence constantly ne...  Read Full »

Do I have delusion disorder or paranoid schizophrenia?

Query: Hi doctor, I would like to know whether my disease is delusion disorder or paranoid schizophrenia. I have been taking Risperidone 2 mg for 16 years, Escitalopram 10 mg for 7 years and for hypertension Met XL 25 mg for 5 years. My cholesterol levels are normal. I am a pure vegetarian. I do not smoke....  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasan Vazhoor Ramsingh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to hear about your mental state, but at the same time I do appreciate you for being on regular medicines. However, even though your question is very direct, I am sorry to say that I cannot give you a straight forward answer or diagnosis. First and most impor...  Read Full »

I am an 18-year-old suffering from panic and anxiety attacks for the past seven months. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old male suffering from panic and anxiety attacks for about six to seven months. Whenever I feel nervous due to any simple reason, I start sweating and panicking. I was fine for about one and a half months, but I started suffering again from the past two days. This atta...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth N. Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Panic attacks and generalized anxiety disorder are very common, and around 15 to 20 percent of people suffer from these problems. You should consult a local psychiatrist who will prescribe you SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) such as: Tablet Sertralin...  Read Full »