Ssri

SSRI refers to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It is a class of drugs used to treat major depressive disorder and anxiety.

My friend takes L-Theanine for anxiety. Does it have any side effect?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend is 21 years old and suffers from anxiety. He feels like it is getting in the way of his daily activities and interactions with people. He used to get attacks more often but that is a lot better now. He decided to start taking L-Theanine pills or supplements. I would like t...  Read Full »

Dr. Parth Nagda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. L-Theanine is an amino acid synthesized from tea. It helps with reducing stress and anxiety and induces a sense of calmness by increasing serotonin and dopamine in the brain which are the feel-good chemicals. As such, it is a supplement and not a medicine per se, so...  Read Full »

How to help a friend who is depressed due to work stress?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend is 40 years old. She was attacked by polio at the age of 3 and unable to walk. She is under depression due to work stress. She is reacting like a mentally challenged sometimes. We do not know what is in her mind. Since two months, she has been reacting this way. Please help ...  Read Full »

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Persistent work stress could lead to adjustment disorder and increases the risk of depressive and anxiety symptoms. She is suffering from polio and has work stress. These are probably the reasons that she behaves weird. If her symptoms persist then please...  Read Full »

I get unwanted thoughts and feel insecure. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having inferiority complex and fear of insecurity and death. I need some drugs to overcome these. Please suggest some medicines. I am having this issue for more than three years and also I used to imagine something that is not even going to happen like natural disasters, somebody com...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description it appears to me that you are probably suffering with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) which is largely a treatable disorder. In this disorder most efficient drugs are SSRI (select...  Read Full »

How to confirm depression if the symptoms last less than a week?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having depression symptoms (hopelessness, feeling worthless, overwhelmed, cannot focus on anything, changes in sleep pattern, loss of appetite, suicidal thoughts, isolation, numb, feel like everything is an effort, cannot get out of bed and all that) for the past six years...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are describing quite a lot of depressive symptoms that have been present episodically for six years. It is true that for a diagnosis of clinical depression the symptoms need to persist for two weeks but with such a prolonged history sub-threshold symptoms may be ...  Read Full »

Are loss of appetite and depression related?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on psychiatric medication since two to three years, but found no improvement. I have started exercise such as walking, yoga and pranayama and found some relief. I become depressed more when I read about depression on internet. My main issue now is loss of appetite, headache when f...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Loss of appetite is a blanket symptom which can be present in any of the psychiatric illness including depression. In major depressive disorder, loss of appetite is associated with sadness of mood, decreased energy level, easy fatigability, loss of interest in...  Read Full »

Will taking Citalopram with alcohol has any potential risk?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is actually regarding my husband. He is currently taking Citalopram and Abilify for his depression. He works a manual labor job and is consuming a cup of coffee every morning, two energy drinks, and a five-hour energy during the course of the day. He then comes home and dr...  Read Full »

Dr. Uphar Gupta

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. His lifestyle is detrimental to healthy living. One should never mix Citalopram with alcohol and that too in sleep apnea patient. The center of breathing in the brain in these patients is stressed as the patient is not getting oxygen properly and hence constantly needs...  Read Full »

I have intrusive, blasphemous thoughts after porn addiction withdrawal. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have intrusive thoughts, blasphemous thoughts that keeps returning to my head. In the past I had porn addiction, and the day I forced myself to stop, I began having those thoughts. I already had OCD symptoms when younger but more subtle. I suspect I have some low serotonine so I am ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with interest. As you had OCD in childhood and anxiety disorder and taking St John's wort, Omega 3 , Magnesium and Vitamins (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You need to start SSRI group of drug (Fluvoxamine or Fluoxetine ...  Read Full »

Please suggest a drug with less side effect than Paroxetine for treating social anxiety disorder.

Query: Hello doctor, I was affected by a social anxiety disorder. For the last two years, I first used Inderal for one year and then Paroxetine (SSRI) 20 mg for the second year. When I used SSRI for one year, my problem fully recovered, and later on, by doctors advise, I left the tablets. Now, 25 days pass...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are reporting a relapse of some social anxiety symptoms after discontinuation of Paroxetine SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) medication. Depending on the extent of your social anxiety symptoms, you have two options: 1) If anxiety is predominantly s...  Read Full »

Are Mirtazapine and Clonazepam good for anxiety and depression?

Query: Dear Doctor, I am suffering from anxiety, restlessness and taking Clonazepam 0.75mg & Mirtazapine 30mg daily. I had depression and panic attacks for the last 7 years relieved by Ativan 1mg and with open angle glaucoma. Need a second opinion.  Read Full »

Dr. Ananth S

Andrologist, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depression, anxiety, restlessness and panic attacks are best respond to a combination of a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) and Benzodiazepines. Mirtazapine is not the most efficient ant depressant and it is not a true SSRI as fluoxetine, paroxetine, cit...  Read Full »

Can Ashwagandha and SSRI be taken together?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been interested in the herb Ashwagandha for a long time. I am a 42-year-old woman, slightly overweight, moderately active and have anxiety, depression, and fatigue. I took Ashwagandha for a month when I was off Prozac and it seemed to help with my anxiety. When I upped my dose,...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you mentioned, Ashwagandha has health benefits, especially in anxiety. If the herb root is available in raw powder form, then it could be 1 g or 1.5 g. If it is in the extract form, then the therapeutic dose must be 200 to 300 mg. More than that, it is going to cause...  Read Full »