Q. Kindly suggest what has to be done to manage breathlessness associated with anxiety?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Feb 06, 2019

I have a best friend who suffers from anxiety and I saw her almost dying today because of a panic attack she had. All her life she thought she had a problem with her heart but she went to see a doctor and he said she is in perfect health. She starts shaking and cannot breathe and I am really scared and try to calm her down but she cannot breathe. She cannot stop shaking for at least half an hour. I do not know what to do and I hope you can tell me.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Panic attacks related to anxiety can be a scary experience. But remember it is not a life-threatening experience. You can encourage your friend to seek professional support to manage her panic attacks and anxiety. She will need a complete assessment following which talking therapy and medication can be prescribed. Meanwhile, she can try progressive muscle relaxation exercises and deep breathing techniques to help reduce her stress levels. You can contact us again if further advice is needed.

What can cause panic attacks?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having panic attacks for the past 13 years. I have been to the hospital on multiple occasions and have been diagnosed with anxiety attacks every time. I have had EKGs and blood work done. All the reports are fine. Sometimes, I am having multiple panic attacks in a day and also...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Why does my breathlessness get worse when cocaine wears off?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking cocaine once a week for 20 years and on the 1st of last month, I started getting a cough and breathless. It was getting worse when the cocaine wore off. Anyway, I had an ECG which was clear and a 24-hour tape also clear. CT scan on lungs clear. Then I had an ultraso...  Read Full »