Q. I have Budd-Chiari syndrome and I feel very uncomfortable due to ascites. Please help.

Dr. C Elanchezhian

He was diagnosed with Budd-Chiari syndrome before five months, and he is feeling very uncomfortable due to ascites. Currently on Acitrom 3 mg, and Udiliv Dytor 10 mg. Kindly advice.

#

Budd-Chiari Syndrome is a rare condition caused by narrowing and obstruction of the hepatic veins. Obstruction of the veins prevents the flow of blood from the liver to the heart. Obstruction is due to the formation of a fibrous web in the blood vessel or blood clots. It can be due to a blood disorder, infections, chronic inflammatory disorders, cancer, liver enlargement, and fluid collection in the abdomen, etc.

Do LFT (liver function test), RFT (renal function test), CBC (complete blood count), CT (clotting time), BT (bleeding time), and US abdomen (ultrasound). Treatment depends upon the cause. But generally, treatment is medical or surgical. Mainly ascites fluid is taped to relieve tension and portal hypertension management is done. Some times liver transplantation may be needed.

|